Heat in a resistor (circuit with inductor and capacitor)

In summary: The capacitor charges and discharges quickly, so the voltage across it changes a lot. Eventually, the voltage across the capacitor equals the voltage across the inductor, and there's no more current going into or out of the inductor. Thus, the system has reached equilibrium and there's no more energy being stored in it.
Rugile

Homework Statement

A source of ε = 10V, capacitor of C = 5 μf, inductor of L = 15 mH and r = 10 Ω and a resistor of R = 100 Ω are connected as in the schematic (attached). How much heat will dissipate in the resistor after the switch is opened?

Homework Equations

dQ = I2Rdt
KVL

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all I was quite confused by the question, so I just assumed that the switch is opened after a long time, when the capacitor and the inductor are fully charged. Then the voltage across the capacitor is U0 = ε and the current in the inductor is I0 = ε / (R+r). We can write the equation (KVL):
[itex]L\frac{dI}{dt} + I(R+r) + U_C = 0 [/itex], where UC is the voltage across the capacitor. I get stuck here - I suppose I could write second order differential equation involving the function of q: [itex] L \frac{d^2 q}{dt^2} + (R+r) \frac{dq}{dt} + \frac{C}{q} = 0 [/itex], but I'm not sure what to do with that either. Any hints?

Attachments

• brezinys.JPG
    brezinys.JPG
    2.1 KB · Views: 451
Physics news on Phys.org
Step 1: After switch is opened, LC oscillation occurs as described by your equation.
Step 2: Heat loss through R and r. Your task is to find out the heat loss thorugh R. At the end, all energy is dissipated through heat loss. So I suggest you find the ratio between heat loss through R: heat loss through r. I also suggest you find the initial energy.
Step 3: The ratio can be found from the ratio of R:r.

Okay, so it is enough to find the initial energy of the system and then calculate the heat loss in R using the ratio? Can I say that the initial energy of the system (after opening the switch) was [itex] E = \frac{CU^2}{2} + \frac{LI^2}{2} [/itex], where [itex] I = \frac{\epsilon}{R+r} [/itex] and U = epsilon = EMF ?

rude man said:
What switch?
The one marked with letter 'J'.

Yes, exactly.

Does anyone have any idea if the equation of initial energy written above is correct? I have doubts about the current in the inductor, since when we open the switch it disappears (gradually), doesn't it?

:smile: O2: Very subtle...
Rugile's post #3 seems pretty good to me: keep going !

And post #6: yes, it dampens out quickly. But the exercise only wants the total, so no need to solve the D.E.

Likes 1 person
Rugile said:
Can I say that the initial energy of the system (after opening the switch) was [itex] E = \frac{CU^2}{2} + \frac{LI^2}{2} [/itex], where [itex] I = \frac{\epsilon}{R+r} [/itex] and U = epsilon = EMF ?
That looks right. That's the stored energy before the jumper to the battery is removed.

After the jumper is removed, the inductor current becomes the capacitor current, the two now being in series.

Likes 1 person

Related to Heat in a resistor (circuit with inductor and capacitor)

1. What is a resistor and how does it affect heat in a circuit?

A resistor is a component in an electrical circuit that restricts the flow of current. When current flows through a resistor, it experiences resistance, which in turn produces heat. The amount of heat generated in a resistor is directly proportional to the amount of current flowing through it.

2. How does an inductor affect heat in a circuit?

An inductor is a component in an electrical circuit that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. When current flows through an inductor, it produces a magnetic field, which can induce heat in nearby components. This heat is generated due to the resistance of the inductor's wire and the energy lost during the conversion of electrical energy to magnetic energy.

3. What role does a capacitor play in heat generation in a circuit?

A capacitor is a component in an electrical circuit that stores energy in the form of an electric field. When current flows through a capacitor, it generates a mild amount of heat due to the resistance of the capacitor's plates and the energy lost during the conversion of electrical energy to electric energy. However, the heat generated in a capacitor is usually negligible compared to other components in the circuit.

4. How do the interactions between a resistor, inductor, and capacitor affect heat in a circuit?

The interactions between a resistor, inductor, and capacitor can result in complex heat generation patterns in a circuit. Inductors and capacitors can produce heat through their own mechanisms, but they can also affect the heat generated in a resistor. For example, in a series LC circuit, the inductor and capacitor can alternate between storing and releasing energy, causing fluctuations in the current and therefore the heat generated in the resistor.

5. How can heat be mitigated in a circuit with a resistor, inductor, and capacitor?

To mitigate heat in a circuit with a resistor, inductor, and capacitor, several methods can be used. One option is to use components with higher power ratings, which can handle more current and therefore generate less heat. Another method is to use cooling techniques, such as heat sinks or fans, to dissipate the heat from the components. Additionally, designing the circuit with lower resistance values and properly sizing the components can also help reduce heat generation.