Heat loss through an insulated pipe

In summary, the conversation discusses the heat loss per length of a pipe with a constant temperature and insulation. Newton's law of cooling is used to show that the heat loss is inversely proportional to a function involving the heat transfer coefficient, insulation thickness, and the natural logarithm of the pipe's radius. The thermal diffusion equation is also mentioned as a useful equation for finding the steady state temperature distribution. However, there is uncertainty on how to proceed with finding the rate of heat loss. Further assistance is requested.
yoghurt54

Homework Statement

A pipe of radius R is maintained at temperature T. It is covered in insulation and the insulated pipe has radius r. Assume all surfaces lose heat through Newton's law of cooling

[tex] \vec{J} = \vec{h} \Delta T[/tex], where the magnitude h is assumed to be constant.

Show that the heat loss per length of pipe is inversely proportional to

[tex] \frac{1}{hr} + \frac{1}{k} ln(\frac{r}{R}) [/tex]

Homework Equations

I guess that

[tex]\vec{J} = -\kappa \nabla T[/tex]

is useful, as is the thermal diffusion equation:

[tex] \nabla^{2} T = - \frac{C}{\kappa} \frac{\partial T}{\partial t} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm guessing that this is the steady state, and that because there's no azimuthal or translational variance in temperature, then we can find T(r') to be:

[tex]T'(r') = T - constant \times ln(\frac{r'}{R})[/tex]

If we define the length of the pipe to be L and the rate of heat loss to be

[tex]\stackrel{.}{Q} = 2\pi r L J [/tex]

but I have no idea where to proceed from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm guessing that it's related to the thermal diffusion equation and setting it up in terms of the Fourier number but I'm not quite sure. Any help is appreciated!

Related to Heat loss through an insulated pipe

1. How does heat loss occur through an insulated pipe?

Heat loss through an insulated pipe occurs due to conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through the material of the pipe, while convection is the movement of heat through the fluid inside the pipe. Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

2. How can I calculate the heat loss through an insulated pipe?

The heat loss through an insulated pipe can be calculated using the following formula: Q=2πkL(T1-T2)/ln(r2/r1), where Q is the heat loss, k is the thermal conductivity of the insulation material, L is the length of the pipe, T1 and T2 are the temperatures at the inner and outer surfaces of the pipe, and r1 and r2 are the inner and outer radii of the pipe.

3. What factors affect the heat loss through an insulated pipe?

The factors that affect heat loss through an insulated pipe include the thermal conductivity of the insulation material, the thickness of the insulation, the temperature difference between the inner and outer surfaces of the pipe, and the fluid flow inside the pipe.

4. How can I reduce heat loss through an insulated pipe?

To reduce heat loss through an insulated pipe, you can use insulation materials with high thermal conductivity, increase the thickness of the insulation, minimize the temperature difference between the inner and outer surfaces of the pipe, and reduce the fluid flow inside the pipe.

5. What are some common insulation materials used for insulated pipes?

Some common insulation materials used for insulated pipes include fiberglass, mineral wool, foam glass, and polyurethane foam. These materials have low thermal conductivity and are effective in reducing heat loss through pipes.

Back