Heat rises, why is it cold at high altitudes?

• Thread starter Feodalherren
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cold Heat
In summary, the "heat rises" statement only applies to a specific region of air and the surrounding regions. Higher altitude = lower pressure, which means that warmer air will float up and stay at the top.
Feodalherren
So I was at a ski-resort last weekend and this question just came to me out of nowhere. Hot air usually rises. Shouldn't that logically lead to high altitudes being warmer than low altitudes?! It's true for the ocean, but air seems to defy this law. Why is that?

Science news on Phys.org
This is not exactly true. For the atmosphere, the temperature minimum is not at the ground, but rather at a height of around 60 km. Afterwards, light from the sun can impart enough energy to the low density gas particles above that to significantly increase their average kinetic energy. below this layer, the gas is too dense for solar radiation to significantly increase the average kinetic energy since there are more particles per volume, but same amount of sunlight, so each particle gets less. Below the temperature minimum layer, there is an effective heat source: the ground.

The "heat rises" statement only works for a region of air and the regions around it. A body of air will rise if the surrounding air is at a slightly greater pressure. So warmer air will float up as it is displaced by cooler air around it.
It's really another issue why all the air in the atmosphere is cooler at a greter height and there are many different models of the atmosphere, with different levels of complexity. One good reason is that the Earth is heated by sunlight and the resulting IR radiation heats the air above. The higher levels of air get less of this radiation. Also, when air rises by convection (like cumulus clouds) it cools down as it expands.
But this only applies to the lower layers of the atmosphere. The temperature goes up and down as you get higher, for various reasons. See this wiki link.

Feodalherren said:
So I was at a ski-resort last weekend and this question just came to me out of nowhere. Hot air usually rises. Shouldn't that logically lead to high altitudes being warmer than low altitudes?!
Higher altitude = lower pressure. If you raise a certain "piece" of air to a higher altitude, it should expand and cool down a bit.

It's true that hot air rises, but there's nothing to keep rising hot air right at the top of the mountain. Either it's cool enough after it rises that it's the same density as the air around it, in which case it just stays there, or else it just keeps rising and leaves you with the cooler air on top of the mountain that you had to begin with.

It's true for the ocean, but air seems to defy this law. Why is that?
First of all, the ocean is heated from the top, not from the bottom, and so the warmer, lighter water just tends to stay at the top. Secondly there is something to keep the warm water from rising even further — it's called the top of the ocean. :)

Feodalherren said:
So I was at a ski-resort last weekend and this question just came to me out of nowhere. Hot air usually rises. Shouldn't that logically lead to high altitudes being warmer than low altitudes?! It's true for the ocean, but air seems to defy this law. Why is that?

Among other things, this is related to the fact that as a parcel of hot air rises, it expands, and if there is no heat transfer between the parcel of air and its surroundings, it cools. For more details, look up "adiabatic lapse rate". This isn't the entire reason, but it does at least explain part of it (and in reality, the adiabatic lapse rate often defines the steepest the temperature gradient can be across a significant portion of the atmosphere, since if the gradient were any steeper, heat transfer would become convection dominated, which would flatten it out again).

Thank you for all your answers. I think I got the gist of it. I suppose it's trickier than I thought and that's why meteorology is an entire science :).

Related to Heat rises, why is it cold at high altitudes?

1. Why does heat rise in the first place?

Heat rises because of convection, which is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids or gases. When a substance is heated, its molecules become more energetic and spread out, causing the substance to become less dense and rise. As it rises, it cools down and becomes more dense, eventually sinking back down and creating a continuous cycle of rising and sinking.

2. Why is it colder at higher altitudes?

The temperature at higher altitudes is colder because the air is less dense and therefore has less heat energy. As air rises, it expands and cools down due to the decrease in air pressure. This is known as adiabatic cooling. In addition, the atmosphere thins out at higher altitudes, meaning that there are fewer air molecules to absorb and retain heat, resulting in colder temperatures.

3. Does the temperature always decrease with altitude?

No, the temperature does not always decrease with altitude. In some cases, the temperature may actually increase with altitude, such as in the stratosphere, where ozone absorbs solar radiation and produces heat. However, in general, the temperature decreases with altitude due to adiabatic cooling and the thinning of the atmosphere.

4. Is the temperature difference at high altitudes uniform?

No, the temperature difference at high altitudes is not uniform. Various factors such as time of day, location, and weather patterns can affect the temperature at different altitudes. For example, during the day, the sun's radiation can warm up the air near the surface, creating a temperature inversion where the air is warmer at higher altitudes. Additionally, weather patterns such as high or low pressure systems can also impact the temperature at different altitudes.

5. How does the temperature at high altitudes affect living organisms?

The temperature at high altitudes can have various effects on living organisms. Some species have adapted to live in colder temperatures at high altitudes, while others may struggle to survive. The lower temperatures can also affect metabolism, respiration, and other physiological functions in animals and plants. In extreme cases, the temperature at high altitudes can be dangerous for humans, leading to hypothermia or other health issues.

Back