Heat transfer or fluid dynamics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the dilemma of choosing a dissertation topic between heat transfer and fluid dynamics. The participants agree that the two fields are closely related and have many applications, with the potential for future trends and research in combining the two disciplines. They also mention the use of computational fluid dynamics and the importance of considering thermal effects in fluid mechanics.
hanson
Hi all!
I am currently choosing the topic for my dissertation, and am struggling between heat transfer and fluid dynamics. What would you guys say on these two discisplines? It seems to be that they are quite inter-related, and both of them are quite theoretical and mathematically intensed, which fit my favour...

What would you say about the future trend about these fields? and which one's prospect might be better? And what kind of frontier researches are undergoing in these fields?

Your help is much appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
hanson said:
Hi all!
I am currently choosing the topic for my dissertation, and am struggling between heat transfer and fluid dynamics. What would you guys say on these two discisplines? It seems to be that they are quite inter-related, and both of them are quite theoretical and mathematically intensed, which fit my favour...

What would you say about the future trend about these fields? and which one's prospect might be better? And what kind of frontier researches are undergoing in these fields?

Your help is much appreciated.
Hello hanson,

I agree, you have quite a dilemma in selecting from two very interesting, and related topics. Why not choose a topic that involves BOTH? By that I mean problems and solutions that require modeling both fluid flows and the heat transfers in multi-phasic flows. There are PLENTY of different topics you can find along these lines on the net.

As for future trends, such a unified approach to these two topics is certainly on the agenda. Some specific areas of research that I would suggest would be investigating how chaos dynamics appear in the interaction between fluid flows and their respective heat fluxes. Modeling induced, feedback-driven effects in flowfields could help us understand how to more effectively control fluid and thermal environments rather than simply having to build vehicles to withstand them passively (I am mostly referring to high-speed plasma flows encountered during atmospheric re-entry). For example, if you can find a way to manipulate the massive energy inherent in stagnation temperatures, you may be able to lower local surface temp maximums. This reduces the weight and cost necessary to build a Thermal Protection System for re-entry, and reducing every pound of necessary, non-payload launch weight increases the payload we can carry to orbit.

Just some off-the-wall suggestions,
Rainman

hanson said:
. . . . heat transfer and fluid dynamics. . . . It seems to be that they are quite inter-related, and both of them are quite theoretical and mathematically intensive, which fit my favour...

The two fields, heat transfer and fluid mechanics may be related, but not necessarily. A hot solid body in space would simply radiate without involvment of a fluid, while a water or sanitation system has very little or no heat transfer.

There are many applications for heat transfer, fluid dynamics and the combination (thermal-hydraulics).

One should select an area and problem that is of interest.

Hypersonic flows generally involve heat transfer.

Computational fluid dynamics is a hot field, especially in conjunction with fluid-structure interation.

Many power systems use fluids for energy/momentum transfer.

In my opinion it is hard to find a purely static heat transfer process, I mean, without any bulk motion of a fluid involved.

Pure fluid mechanics without any thermal consideration is still a workhorse in industry. Aerodynamics and Hydrodynamics, experimentally, analitically and numerically, have a lot of way to walk yet.

Hi Clausius,
Clausius2 said:
Pure fluid mechanics without any thermal consideration is still a workhorse in industry. Aerodynamics and Hydrodynamics, experimentally, analitically and numerically, have a lot of way to walk yet.

I agree with your sentiments. The latest advanced tool we have been using where I work is CFD++:

http://www.metacomptech.com/cfd++/cfd++_overview.htm

The ability to model/analyze hypersonic, multiphasic flows and conjugate heat transfer effects together is effective for developing aerodynamic re-entry vehicle shapes.

Rainman

Last edited by a moderator:
RainmanAero said:
Hi Clausius,

I agree with your sentiments. The latest advanced tool we have been using where I work is CFD++:

http://www.metacomptech.com/cfd++/cfd++_overview.htm

The ability to model/analyze hypersonic, multiphasic flows and conjugate heat transfer effects together is effective for developing aerodynamic re-entry vehicle shapes.

Rainman

Otherwise I wouldn't be involved in the fluid mechanics science business...:smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Heat transfer or fluid dynamics?

What is heat transfer?

Heat transfer is the movement of thermal energy from one object to another due to a temperature difference. It occurs through three main mechanisms: conduction, convection, and radiation.

What is conduction?

Conduction is the transfer of heat through a solid material, such as a metal rod, where the molecules vibrate and transfer kinetic energy to neighboring molecules.

What is convection?

Convection is the transfer of heat through a fluid, such as air or water, where warmer molecules rise and cooler molecules sink, creating a circular motion that transfers heat.

What is radiation?

Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves, such as infrared radiation, which can travel through a vacuum and does not require a medium to transfer heat.

What is fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics is the study of the behavior of fluids, such as liquids and gases, and the forces that act upon them. It involves understanding how fluids flow, how they interact with their surroundings, and how they transfer energy and momentum.