Heat transfer through a steel rod

In summary, the conversation involves a question about the rate of heat conduction in a cylindrical steel rod at different temperatures. The equation P = Q/t = kAT/L is used, where P is power, Q is heat, t is time, k is thermal conductivity constant, A is surface area, T is temperature difference, and L is length. The solution involves finding the new area and length of the rod and using them in the equation to determine the new rate of heat conduction.
xortan

Homework Statement

Hello everyone I am studying for my finals and this question has me stumped.

The ends of a cylindrical steel rod are maintained at two different temperatures. The rod conducts heat from one end to the other at a rate of 10 cal/s. At what rate would a steel rod twice as long and twice the diameter conduct heat between the same two temperatures?

We know that Q/t = 10 cal/s

Homework Equations

P = Q/t = kAT/L

k = thermal conductivity constant
A= surface area of object
T= change in temperature
L = length that heat through

k for steel is 0.111 cal/gC

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried saying that 10 cal/s = k*2A*T/2L and since the area of the cylinder is 2*pi*(d/2)*L, I subbed that into the 2A and canceled off some stuff then tried pulling out the coefficients and diving that by 10 but I'm not to sure if this is the right direction

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the 'A' in your equation should be cross-sectional area.

so you have P = kAΔT/L = 10

So now is the diameter is 2d, what is the area?

and the new length is 2L.

So put these two into the equation P=k *area*ΔT/ Length.

and try to separate out the kAΔT/L part.

Thanks man I tried it and it worked! Appreciate it

Related to Heat transfer through a steel rod

What is heat transfer?

Heat transfer is the process of thermal energy moving from one object or substance to another, resulting in a change in temperature.

How does heat transfer occur in a steel rod?

In a steel rod, heat is transferred through a combination of conduction and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between molecules, while radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

What factors affect heat transfer in a steel rod?

The main factors that affect heat transfer in a steel rod include the difference in temperature between the two ends of the rod, the surface area of the rod, and the material properties of the rod such as its thermal conductivity.

Can heat transfer through a steel rod be controlled?

Yes, heat transfer through a steel rod can be controlled by adjusting the temperature at each end of the rod, using insulating materials to reduce heat loss, and changing the material of the rod to one with a higher or lower thermal conductivity.

What applications does heat transfer through a steel rod have?

Heat transfer through a steel rod has many practical applications, such as in cooking and food processing, heating and cooling systems, and industrial processes such as welding and forging.