Heat transfer - Transient state involving a solid and a surface

In summary: Using a calculator or table, we can find that the inverse of the complementary error function of -0.05/13 is approximately 3.85. Thus, we can set the argument of the erfc function equal to 3.85 and solve for t:0.5/(2*sqrt(7.6*10^-6 * t))= 3.85t= (0.5/3.85)^
lingoo

Homework Statement

A thermometer for medical applications to determine the time required for the tip to reach a temperature of 37.95 C when in contact with the skin temperature of 38 C, starting from an initial value of 25 ° C.

Admit that the tip of the thermometer is completely metallic (all sides except the bottom) in contact with the skin of a person.

The tip material is stainless steel with a thermal diffusivity of 0.05 cm2 / s, the specific heat at constant pressure of 451 J / (kg.K) and thermal conductivity of 17.2 W / mK.
The contact resistance between the skin and the metal end is estimated at 31.529 K / W.

Assume that the metallic end of the thermometer can be considered a system with internal resistance to heat conduction negligible.

Suppose that the tip of the thermometer is a cylinder of 1 cm in length and 0.6 cm diameter

Homework Equations

k -> thermal conductivity
c-> specific heat
[itex]\alpha[/itex] -> thermal diffusivity

Fo = [itex]\alpha[/itex] * t/r^2

[itex]\alpha[/itex]= k/(ρ*c)

Bi= hc*ro/k

Diagrams for dimensionless transient temperatures and heat flow

and many more...

The Attempt at a Solution

At first, there's no convection in the problem, so Bi = 0, in the diagram, the curves 1/Bi would be equal to 0 because hc -> ∞. Okay, and making the temperatures difference
(T-T(∞))/(T(0)-T(∞)) = -0.05/-13 = 0.00385
So looking into the diagram for dimensionless transient temperatures and heat flow for a long cylinder, I will find Fo = 1
When I put the values in formula -> Fo = [itex]\alpha[/itex]*t/r^2 it doesn't seem to work (I have converted [itex]\alpha[/itex](thermal diffusivity) to m^2/s, so it will be 5*10^-6 m2/s).
After that, I tried making ρ*c*V*dT/dt = Q, making Q equal to the (T-T(∞))/(Rk+Rcontact)
I'm really lost in this problem, because I get used to solve problem that involved a solid and a fluid, this problem is related to fins and transient state, but I can't find a way through in this problem.

Well, the answer should be around t= 170,52 seconds as it says on the answer.

I would appreciate a help for tackling out this problem, any sugestions, ideas, solutions are welcome. Thanks !

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

Thank you for sharing your approach to solving this problem. It seems like you have a good understanding of the concepts and equations involved, but your calculations may be off. Let's go through the steps together to see if we can find the mistake.

First, let's calculate the thermal diffusivity, \alpha, using the given values for thermal conductivity (k) and specific heat (c). We can use the formula \alpha= k/(ρ*c) and plug in the values to get:

\alpha= 17.2/(451*10^-3 * 0.05) = 7.6*10^-6 m^2/s

Next, let's calculate the Biot number (Bi) using the given values for heat transfer coefficient (hc) and thermal conductivity (k). We can use the formula Bi= hc*ro/k and plug in the values to get:

Bi= (31.529 * 0.3)/(17.2) = 0.55

Since Bi is not equal to 0, we cannot assume that there is no convection and we cannot use the diagram for dimensionless transient temperatures and heat flow for a long cylinder. Instead, we will need to use the general solution for transient heat conduction in a cylinder, which is:

T(x,t)= T(∞) + (T(0)-T(∞))*erfc(x/(2*sqrt(\alpha*t)))

Where erfc is the complementary error function and x is the distance from the center of the cylinder.

Since we are interested in the temperature at the tip of the thermometer, we can use x= L/2 = 0.5 cm.

Now, let's plug in the values for T(0)= 25°C, T(∞)= 38°C, and \alpha= 7.6*10^-6 m^2/s into the equation to get:

T(0.5, t)= 38 + (25-38)*erfc(0.5/(2*sqrt(7.6*10^-6 * t)))

Next, we can solve for t by setting T(0.5, t) equal to the desired temperature of 37.95°C and solving for t:

37.95= 38 + (25-38)*erfc(0.5/(2*sqrt(7.6*10^-6 *

Related to Heat transfer - Transient state involving a solid and a surface

1. How does heat transfer occur between a solid and a surface?

Heat transfer between a solid and a surface occurs through the process of conduction, where energy is transferred from the solid to the surface through direct contact.

2. What factors affect the rate of heat transfer between a solid and a surface?

The rate of heat transfer between a solid and a surface is affected by the temperature difference between the two objects, the thermal conductivity of the solid, and the surface area of contact.

3. How does the type of material of the solid and surface affect heat transfer?

The type of material of the solid and surface can affect heat transfer due to their different thermal conductivities. Materials with higher thermal conductivities will transfer heat more quickly.

4. What is the difference between steady-state and transient state heat transfer?

In steady-state heat transfer, the temperature difference between the solid and surface remains constant over time. In transient state heat transfer, the temperature difference changes over time as the system reaches equilibrium.

5. How can heat transfer be calculated in a transient state involving a solid and a surface?

The rate of heat transfer can be calculated using the equation Q = kA(T2-T1)/d, where Q is the heat transfer rate, k is the thermal conductivity, A is the surface area, T2 and T1 are the temperatures of the solid and surface respectively, and d is the thickness of the solid.