Heine-Borel Theorem: Proving Compactness in Metric Spaces

• Thread starter jostpuur
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the applicability of the Heine-Borel theorem to arbitrary metric spaces and the conditions for a metric space to be compact. The proof for closed and bounded subsets of \mathbb{R}^n being compact relies on the fact that \mathbb{R}^n has the "least upper bound property", which is not true for all metric spaces. The discussion also mentions the Riesz's theorem of non-compactness and the role of completeness and total boundedness in determining compactness in metric spaces.
jostpuur
The other thread about heine-borel theorem just reminded me of something that has been unclear to me. I understand how you can prove, that a closed and bounded subset of [tex]\mathbb{R}^n[/tex] is compact, but isn't this true also for an arbitrary metric space? The proof I've read relies on the fact that we can first put the subset in a box [tex][-R,R]^n[/tex], and then start splitting this box into smaller pieces, but how could you replace this procedure with something in an arbitrary metric space?

Physics news on Phys.org
jostpuur said:
but isn't this true also for an arbitrary metric space?
I'm pretty sure no. Try looking at function spaces.

Hurkyl said:
I'm pretty sure no. Try looking at function spaces.

Oh, well. No wonder I didn't understand how to extend this proof into general metric spaces...

Now when you mentioned function spaces, I just remembered, that I do know the Riesz's theorem of non-compactness. Just couldn't put pieces together. :rolleyes: Ok, sorry for bothering!

You don't need function spaces. The Heine-Borel theorem, for the real numbers, is equivalent to the "least upper bound property". That means that it is NOT true for the set of rational numbers with the "usual" topology.

In particular, {x| x2<= 2} is both closed and bounded as a subset of the rational numbers but is not compact. (The crucial point in the proof is that there is no rational number, x, such that x2= 2.)

In general a metric space is compact if and only if it is complete and totally bounded.

deadwolfes remark means compactness follows if every sequence has a cauchy subsequence, and every cauchy sequence converges.

notice R^n is already complete, so any closed subset is also complete. what property does R^n have causing every bounded subset to be totally bounded?

Last edited:

FAQ: Heine-Borel Theorem: Proving Compactness in Metric Spaces

1. What is the Heine-Borel Theorem?

The Heine-Borel Theorem is a fundamental result in mathematics that characterizes compactness in metric spaces. It states that a subset of a metric space is compact if and only if it is closed and bounded.

2. How does the Heine-Borel Theorem relate to compactness?

The Heine-Borel Theorem provides a necessary and sufficient condition for compactness in metric spaces. It states that a subset of a metric space is compact if and only if it is closed and bounded.

3. What is the significance of the Heine-Borel Theorem?

The Heine-Borel Theorem is significant because it is a powerful tool in mathematical analysis and topology. It allows us to easily prove the compactness of a subset in a metric space by checking for closedness and boundedness.

4. How is the Heine-Borel Theorem used in practice?

The Heine-Borel Theorem is used in various fields of mathematics, such as real analysis, functional analysis, and topology. It is particularly useful in proving the existence of solutions to differential equations and in establishing properties of continuous functions.

5. Are there any limitations to the Heine-Borel Theorem?

While the Heine-Borel Theorem is a powerful tool, it only applies to metric spaces. It does not hold in general topological spaces, and there are other notions of compactness that may not satisfy the conditions of the theorem. Additionally, it only provides a sufficient condition for compactness, so there may be subsets of a metric space that are compact but do not meet the criteria of the theorem.