Heisenberg uncertainty principle

In summary, the conversation revolves around the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and the implications of measuring the velocity of an electron in the x-direction. It is concluded that without knowledge of the specific measurement method, it is impossible to make any assumptions about the motion of the electron in the y-axis. The conversation also touches on the concept of confinement and the limitations of classical thinking in the context of quantum mechanics.
angy
Hello!

I have a doubt about Heisenberg uncertainty principle.
Suppose that a particle moves along x-axis with a given uncertainty in velocity.
Can I say something about its motion along y-axis?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks, your explanation is very helpful.
However, I still can't understand something.
What if there is no slit?
Maybe, is it not possibile otherwise to measure velocity in x-direction?

If there is no slit, then there is no restriction anywhere, and you don't have an exact knowledge what an electron is doing.

Note here that your starting premise is already "AFTER" a measurement, because you already know with certainty that it is moving in a particular direction. One has to be careful in setting up the scenario because by saying that, you've already made a determination one way or the other.

Zz.

Thanks a lot!
Sorry, I still have a doubt.

The fact that the electron is moving in x-direction means that the y-component of its velocity is zero, isn't it? Therefore, the uncertainty in velocity in y-direction is zero. The conclusion is that we can say anything about the position along y-axis.

Is it a correct way of thinking, or am I mistaking?

angy said:
Thanks a lot!
Sorry, I still have a doubt.

The fact that the electron is moving in x-direction means that the y-component of its velocity is zero, isn't it? Therefore, the uncertainty in velocity in y-direction is zero. The conclusion is that we can say anything about the position along y-axis.

Is it a correct way of thinking, or am I mistaking?

Again, think of HOW you are going to ensure that it is moving ONLY in the x-direction? Do you put a small hole at the electron source so that you only collect the ones that will go through that hole, and then call that the x-direction? After all, only those that have the right velocity component from the source to that hole will make it through.

But as soon as you do that, we are back to the single slit problem. What do you think is the spread in the velocity/momentum in the y-direction and z-direction? Do you think this spread will corresponds to how small you make that hole, i.e. the more you try to confine your electron to have very little y and z direction motion?

You simply can't say "I have an electron moving in the x-direction", because that's the whole point of quantum mechanics, that what you think are obvious and trivial, are no longer just that!

Zz.

I think you brightened my day!

Therefore, it depends all on how I measure the speed the electron. If I don't know how the measurement is made, I can't say anything about the motion along an orthogonal axis.

Related to Heisenberg uncertainty principle

1. What is the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle, also known as the uncertainty principle or the indeterminacy principle, is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty.

2. Who discovered the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle was first proposed by German physicist Werner Heisenberg in 1927.

3. Why is the Heisenberg uncertainty principle important?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle is important because it sets a limit on the precision with which certain physical properties of a particle can be known. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

4. How does the Heisenberg uncertainty principle relate to the wave-particle duality of light?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle is closely related to the wave-particle duality of light, which states that light exhibits both wave-like and particle-like properties. The principle suggests that the more accurately we know the position of a photon, the less accurately we can know its momentum, and vice versa.

5. Are there any implications of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle in everyday life?

While the Heisenberg uncertainty principle may seem to only apply to the quantum world, it does have some implications in everyday life. For example, it helps explain why we cannot precisely predict the location and speed of a moving car at the same time. It also plays a role in the development of technologies such as MRI machines, which use the principle to create detailed images of the human body.