Hello. I just got a PMT the glass bulb of which has been broken. Even

In summary, you are asking if it is possible to use a broken photomultiplier tube as an electron multiplier. The answer is no, because the glass casing is broken and the vacuum inside the tube is no longer present.
Ravaner
Hello. I just got a PMT the glass bulb of which has been broken. Even if performances are not the best, do you think I can use it as an Electron Multiplier (with all convenient electronics) ?

Engineering news on Phys.org

No. Photomultiplier tubes require a vacuum in order to operate. If the glass bulb is broken, it no longer has a vacuum inside.

Hi. I'm aware of that ! I work with an Electron Multiplier under high vacuum but as it arrives to end of life and as I've this broken PMT you better understand my question ...

Sorry. Then what is your question exactly?

Ravaner said:
Hi. I'm aware of that ! I work with an Electron Multiplier under high vacuum but as it arrives to end of life and as I've this broken PMT you better understand my question ...

You want to ask for help, you better talk nicely.

If you are going to install in vacuum, what do you care whether the glass casing is broken or not, it will be in vacuum. If you can remove the photo sensing stage and get the electron to hit the multiplier, it should work. There is no secret with electron multiplier.

Last edited:

My question in fact is about cathode that in case of PMT is photon sensitive to generate electrons. Without removing it and placing all that stuff in high vacuum, will this amount of dynodes work as an electron multiplier. I insist without any dynode replacement. My own EM has suffered during an experiment, and may be this substitution will be a low cost operation for almost identical results.

I don't know whether you can make it work without removing the cathode and just let the electrons hit the cathode. There is not enough information to answer whether you have enough gain.

There is only one way to find out, put it in and steer the electrons into the PMT. You have nothing to loose, maybe jack up the high voltage a little, and/or increase the gain of the receiving transimpedance amp and see what happen.

Related to Hello. I just got a PMT the glass bulb of which has been broken. Even

1. What is a PMT and how does it work?

A PMT (photomultiplier tube) is a highly sensitive device used to detect and amplify light signals. It consists of a glass bulb with a photosensitive material inside, called a photocathode. When light enters the bulb, it causes electrons to be emitted from the photocathode. These electrons are then accelerated and multiplied by a series of dynodes, resulting in a larger electrical signal that can be measured and analyzed.

2. How did the glass bulb of the PMT break?

There are several possible ways that the glass bulb of a PMT could break. It could have been dropped or hit by something, causing it to crack or shatter. It is also possible that it was exposed to extreme temperatures or pressure, causing the glass to break. Additionally, the glass may have been weakened over time by exposure to certain chemicals or other environmental factors.

3. Is the PMT still usable after the glass bulb has been broken?

In most cases, a PMT will no longer be usable after the glass bulb has been broken. This is because the glass bulb acts as a protective barrier for the delicate components inside, and without it, those components may become damaged or contaminated. It is important to handle a PMT carefully and take appropriate precautions to prevent the glass from breaking.

4. Can the glass bulb of a PMT be replaced?

In some cases, it may be possible to replace the glass bulb of a PMT. However, this should only be done by a trained professional, as it requires specialized equipment and techniques. Additionally, the replacement bulb must be carefully selected to ensure it is compatible with the PMT and its intended use. In many cases, it may be more practical and cost-effective to replace the entire PMT rather than just the glass bulb.

5. What should I do if the glass bulb of my PMT breaks?

If the glass bulb of your PMT breaks, it is important to handle it carefully to avoid injury or further damage. You should also take steps to prevent any debris or contaminants from entering the PMT. Depending on the specific circumstances, you may need to replace the PMT or have it repaired by a professional. It is also important to review your lab's safety protocols and make any necessary adjustments to prevent similar incidents from occurring in the future.

Back