What Are the Entropy and Singularity of Black Holes?

ShadowX5452
How did you find PF?
Via Google search
Hello everybody!
Although I'm joining this forum, my field of studies is not science, it's linguistics. Despite that, I've always been fascinated by the universe and its laws, I've consumed countless media about the topic ever since I was in elementary school, when I brought a study about the universe for my final exam (we used to have finals in elementary school here).

Now, I'm trying to affirm myself on YouTube, although my focus is on two specific video games that have been written also using real science, physics, quantum mechanics and so on.

I'm joining today because I do have some questions about black holes, their entropy and their singularity that I haven't been able to figure out after days of researching the subject, although my understanding has grown exponentially nonetheless.

My aim is to understand these subjects as much as I can, in order to be able to make a YouTube video in which I'll be able to confidently talk baout them in order to explain the potential underlying lore the writers may have gone for.

I hope you'll forgive my ignorance if I ever say something completely stupid, but then again, I haven't been studying these subjects all my life as you surely have!

Physics news on Phys.org
If I may ask for guidance, which section would be best to post a question about black holes, their singularity and entropy?
Thank you

Hello and :welcome: !

I would post such a question in "Cosmology," maybe "Relativity" and make sure to mark it "B" as I suppose you don't want to see equations.

fresh_42 said:
Hello and :welcome: !

I would post such a question in "Cosmology," maybe "Relativity" and make sure to mark it "B" as I suppose you don't want to see equations.
Thank you so much, I'm actually happy to be here!

Yes, I would avoid the equations because, although they are what allow you to really understand these concepts, they would have the opposite effect on me.
I don't exactly know what marking it B means, but I'll figure it out.

ShadowX5452 said:
Thank you so much, I'm actually happy to be here!

Yes, I would avoid the equations because, although they are what allow you to really understand these concepts, they would have the opposite effect on me.
I don't exactly know what marking it B means, but I'll figure it out.
I'm not sure whether the forums I mentioned allow a categorization into A,B,I. Some forums don't, others require it. The letters stand for Advanced, Basic, and Intermediate and are supposed to roughly distinguish at which level the answers may, should, or can be given. A is reserved for graduate university level, B for answers in everyday language as far as it is possible (and neglecting nuances), and I is in between. E.g. "a car moves at a constant speed" would be "B", "##\ddot x=0##" would be "I" and "A" would give an equation in local coordinates on a Riemannian manifold.

Welcome to Physics Forums.

ShadowX5452 said:
a question about black holes, their singularity and entropy?
Be sure to read our Insights Blog articles about Black Holes, to help you get a jump start on your questions. I did a search in the Insights area of the forum (see the INSIGHTS link at the top of the page), and got these hits for Black Holes:

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/?s=black+hole

:smile:

fresh_42 said:
I'm not sure whether the forums I mentioned allow a categorization into A,B,I. Some forums don't, others require it. The letters stand for Advanced, Basic, and Intermediate and are supposed to roughly distinguish at which level the answers may, should, or can be given. A is reserved for graduate university level, B for answers in everyday language as far as it is possible (and neglecting nuances), and I is in between. E.g. "a car moves at a constant speed" would be "B", "##\ddot x=0##" would be "I" and "A" would give an equation in local coordinates on a Riemannian manifold.
Okay, thank you, I'll check if the forum allows for categorization, otherwise I'll simply ask for a simpler explanation in the post itself, so I wouldn't waste people's time by having them write down formulae I sadly won't be able to understand

DeBangis21 said:
Welcome to Physics Forums.
Thank you, I'm happy to be here!!!
I'm always happy to learn more about the universe and its laws. If I were better at math, I would have probably studied astrophysics at university, considering how interested I am in it!

Likes DeBangis21
berkeman said:
Be sure to read our Insights Blog articles about Black Holes, to help you get a jump start on your questions. I did a search in the Insights area of the forum (see the INSIGHTS link at the top of the page), and got these hits for Black Holes:

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/?s=black+hole

:smile:
I checked the insights blog, but sadly, they don't contain the specific answers I'm looking for, probably because either my question is too specific or because it's too stupid and I lack the knowledge to realize it!

These insights are great to learn about black holes in general, but I've been consuming a lot of articles and videos in the past few days and also throughout my life, so these are notions I already learned.

My question is more related to entropy and its relation to the singularity of a black hole, but also the information paradox, so it's going to be a very complicated question.

Thank you anyway for pointing me in the direction of these articles!