HELP 3 physics problems that i am stuck on

In summary, there were three physics problems discussed. The first one involved a bullet moving at 244m/s and hitting a tree, with questions about the average acceleration and time it takes for the bullet to stop. The second problem was about finding the time it takes for a ball thrown straight up at 36m/s to return to its starting position. The third problem was about finding the magnitude of acceleration of gravity on a new planet, given the maximum height and velocity an astronaut can jump. The conversation also included helpful notes and equations to use for solving the problems.
SJC25
HELP! 3 physics problems that i am stuck on

Help me out guys. I am in a college physics class and a week and a half into the class i am stuck.

1.) A bullet is moving at 244m/s. It hits a tree and penetrates 8.34mm. (A)What is the average acceleration as it slows? (B) Assuming constant acceleration, how long does it take for the bullet to stop.

I keep coming up with over 7mill m/s for part A... so obviously I am doing something wrong. If someone can just get me started on the right track I think I can figure the rest out.

2.) A ball is thrown straight up at 36m/s How long will it take for the ball to return to it's starting position?

I know it is one of the free fall equations, but i just can't figure out which... also, air resistance is not a factor.

3.) An astronaut lands on a strange, new planet. She discovers she can jump a maximum of 27m @ 6.0m/s. What is the magnitude of acceleration of gravity on the new planet?

Any help on any of these would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Stacy in NC

Physics news on Phys.org
1.) A bullet is moving at 244m/s. It hits a tree and penetrates 8.34mm. (A)What is the average acceleration as it slows? (B) Assuming constant acceleration, how long does it take for the bullet to stop.

I keep coming up with over 7mill m/s for part A... so obviously I am doing something wrong. If someone can just get me started on the right track I think I can figure the rest out.

my note: use vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad

you shouldn't get 7mil m/s. Try again.

2.) A ball is thrown straight up at 36m/s How long will it take for the ball to return to it's starting position?

I know it is one of the free fall equations, but i just can't figure out which... also, air resistance is not a factor.

my note: figure out the time it takes for an object to reach 36m/s with only gravitational acceleration. Then multiply it by 2 since the trajectory is symmetrical.

use vf = vi + at

3.) An astronaut lands on a strange, new planet. She discovers she can jump a maximum of 27m @ 6.0m/s. What is the magnitude of acceleration of gravity on the new planet?

my note: again use vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad

Any help on any of these would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Stacy in NC

P.S - just do more studying and you should do fine...

1) The kinetic energy of the bullet is

[tex]E = \frac{1}{2} m v_0^2[/tex]

The tree has to dissipate all of this energy by applying a force to the bullet. The relationship between work, force, and distance is

[tex]W = \mathbf F \cdot \mathbf d[/tex]

In this case, you know how much work is done (E) and the distance it was done over (d), and you can solve for F. You're not so much interested in the force as you are in the acceleration, so you can use Newton's second law to replace F with ma:

[tex]\frac{1}{2} m v_0^2 = Fd = mad[/tex]

The m's cancel, and you're left with a simple expression for the acceleration. This acceleration is in the millions of m/s2. This makes sense, when you realize that a bullet initially traveling at 244 m/s would cover 8.34 mm in about 34 millionths of a second:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=8.34+mm+/+244+m/s&btnG=Search

The acceleration has to be quite large.

To find the time it takes the bullet to stop, just using the standard kinematic formula:

[tex]s(t) = v_0 t + \frac{1}{2} a t^2[/tex]

Where s(t) is the position of the bullet at time t. Plug in 8.34 mm for s(t), 244 m/s for [itex]v_0[/itex], and the acceleration you found above, then solve for time. The answer you get should be a few tens of microseconds.

2) If you're going to memorize any equations, memorize this one:

[tex]s(t) = v_0 t + 1/2 a t^2[/tex]

That's all you need to solve this problem. The acceleration is just g, and you know v_0. If the ball starts at ground level, then s(t=0) is 0. Solve this equation for the other permissible value of t.

3) You can derive the maximum height of a trajectory easily enough, but here's the formula:

[tex]y_\textrm{max} = \frac{v_0^2}{2a}[/tex]

Plug in the numbers and solve for a.

- Warren

Last edited:

FAQ: HELP 3 physics problems that i am stuck on

1. What is the best method for solving physics problems?

The best method for solving physics problems is to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts. This allows you to focus on one aspect at a time and prevents you from feeling overwhelmed. Also, make sure to clearly define all variables and use appropriate equations for the given problem.

2. How can I improve my understanding of physics concepts?

To improve your understanding of physics concepts, it is important to actively engage with the material. This can include practicing problems, discussing concepts with peers, and seeking help from a tutor or teacher. Additionally, it can be helpful to relate physics concepts to real-world situations to better understand their application.

3. How do I know if I am on the right track when solving a physics problem?

One way to know if you are on the right track when solving a physics problem is to check your units. Make sure that the units for each variable and answer are consistent with the units in the given problem. Additionally, double check your calculations and make sure they make sense in the context of the problem.

4. What should I do if I am stuck on a physics problem?

If you are stuck on a physics problem, take a step back and review the information given in the problem. Make sure you understand all the variables and how they relate to each other. If you are still stuck, try approaching the problem from a different angle or seek help from a teacher or tutor.

5. How important is it to show all of my work when solving a physics problem?

Showing your work when solving a physics problem is crucial for two reasons. First, it allows you to check your work and find any errors you may have made. Second, it shows your thought process and allows your teacher or tutor to provide feedback and help you improve your problem-solving skills. Additionally, many exams and assignments require you to show your work in order to receive full credit.

Back