Help balancing an unequal lever thru an arc - (Foldover flagpole)

• Thread starter Armadillo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arc Lever
In summary, to successfully construct a pipe flagpole with a pivotrod or axel for changing the flag, you'll need to calculate the weight of the pole and flag, determine the angle of the arc, and make sure the chain is strong enough to pull the pole down. The counterweight should be slightly more than the combined weight of the pole and flag, and the further away it is from the fulcrum point, the less weight will be needed.
Armadillo
I am constructing a pipe flagpole that instead of using a rope or wire to run the flag up, has a pivotrod or axel near the bottom (fulcrum point) that allows the entire pole to be pulled down when unlocked. The Idea is that you attach a piece of chain a ways up the pole and use it to pull the pole over to change the flag. My problem is the balancing -- I have used these on airports before - light poles that lay over so you can change the lightbulbs etc.. but I don't know how to calculate the weight needed (even in a rough guess) to allow the laying over to be controllable..

The pole has 27 feet above the fulcrum point - and 5.5 below the fulcrum point.. I went out to the tip of the long arm I weighed 68 lb of down force with a scale.. My concern and lack of experience falls in the area of the arc - as the pole will actually require less weight as it goes up.. I want it to remain upright (in normal flagpole position) when initially unlocked/released and yet be able to pull it over so I can change the flag.. This arrangement isn't that uncommon -- I just don't know how to determine the proper amount of weight for the base... I don't know what is important info and what isn't.. I may not have provided enough details - but would sure appreciate if someone could point me in the correct direction..
My initial thought would be a counterweight just slightly more than the 68 lbs of downforce (weight) measured at the end (top) of the flagpole when it is layed over -- but is that correct ? I'm going in circles here... THANK YOU for any assistance..

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer to your question really depends on a few different factors. First, you need to consider the weight of the flagpole itself. A 27-foot pole can weigh quite a bit depending on the material it's made of and how thick it is. You also need to consider the weight of the flag itself, which could be anywhere from a couple of ounces to several pounds depending on the size and material of the flag. Once you have the total weight of the pole and flag, you'll need to determine the angle of the arc the pole will make when being pulled down. This will dictate how much weight you'll need for the counterweight. As a general rule of thumb, the counterweight should be slightly more than the weight of the pole and flag combined. Keep in mind that the further away the counterweight is from the fulcrum point, the less weight will be needed. Finally, you'll need to consider the strength of the chain that will be used to pull the pole down. If the chain is too weak, it won't be able to pull the pole down far enough for you to change the flag. The chain should be able to support at least twice the weight of the pole and flag combined. In conclusion, you'll need to take into account the weight of the pole and flag, the angle of the arc, and the strength of the chain in order to determine the amount of weight needed for the counterweight.

Related to Help balancing an unequal lever thru an arc - (Foldover flagpole)

What is an unequal lever?

An unequal lever is a simple machine composed of two arms of different lengths connected by a fulcrum. When a force is applied to one side of the lever, the other side will move in the opposite direction.

What is an arc?

An arc is a curved line that is part of a circle. In the context of balancing an unequal lever, the arc refers to the path that the longer arm of the lever takes as it moves.

How does a foldover flagpole relate to an unequal lever?

A foldover flagpole is a type of flagpole that can be lowered or raised by rotating it around a hinge at the base. This rotation creates an arc, similar to the movement of an unequal lever, which can be used to balance the pole.

How can I balance an unequal lever through an arc?

To balance an unequal lever through an arc, you can adjust the position of the fulcrum or the length of the arms. By finding the appropriate balance point, the lever will remain stable when a force is applied to one side.

What are some practical applications of balancing an unequal lever through an arc?

Balancing an unequal lever through an arc is used in many real-world situations, such as in construction equipment, playground equipment, and even in our own bodies (such as with our arms and legs). It allows for efficient and stable movement and lifting of objects.