Help Calculating RPM of a rotatory atomizer thats powered by pneumatic

In summary, the conversation discusses a recent horticulture graduate seeking help with a physics problem related to a pneumatically powered rotary atomizer. The individual needs to find an equation to calculate the RPM of the atomizer based on air pressure and other measurements. The solution lies in the Torque Equation, which involves finding the moment of inertia and using it to calculate the angular velocity and ultimately, the RPM of the atomizer.
bob5bob
Hello everyone,

I am a recent horticulture graduate and as such, I take a long time figuring out physics problems.:confused: I hope I could trouble you guys for a possible solution to my problem. I am making an rotary atomizer that is pneumatically powered and need to find out how fast i can make it spin with a max 100psi airflow. The turbine part is 40mm in diameter and has four half circle blades. It is contained in a shaped case that is two parts which are mirror images of themselves, each side has a vent which is 6mm by 6mm and a entry hole for a 5mm inside diameter pipe. The disc is out side the case and is 80mm in diameter. Basically I am just trying to figure out an equation for this that allow me to take air pressure and calculate RPM of the disc. Any help would be appreciated.:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank You!</code>The equation you need to solve your problem is the Torque Equation. This equation states that the torque (τ) of a rotating object is equal to the product of the angular velocity (ω) and the moment of inertia (I). In other words, τ = Iω.Therefore, to find the RPM of your rotary atomizer, you will need to know its moment of inertia (I), which is dependent on the shape and mass of the turbine part. Once you have this value, you can then calculate the angular velocity (ω) as follows:ω = τ/IFinally, to get the RPM, simply multiply the angular velocity by 60 seconds per minute:RPM = ω x 60I hope this helps! Good luck.

Related to Help Calculating RPM of a rotatory atomizer thats powered by pneumatic

1. How do I calculate the RPM of a rotatory atomizer powered by pneumatic?

To calculate the RPM (revolutions per minute) of a rotatory atomizer powered by pneumatic, you will need to know the air pressure and flow rate of the pneumatic power source, as well as the diameter of the atomizer. Once you have this information, you can use the formula: RPM = (air pressure * 60) / (flow rate * 3.14 * atomizer diameter).

2. What is a rotatory atomizer and how does it work?

A rotatory atomizer is a type of atomizer that uses centrifugal force to break up a liquid into small droplets. It consists of a rotating disc or wheel with small holes or slots around the edge. As the liquid is fed onto the disc, it is flung outwards due to the rotation, creating a fine spray.

3. What are the advantages of using a pneumatic power source for a rotatory atomizer?

One of the main advantages of using a pneumatic power source for a rotatory atomizer is that it eliminates the need for electricity, making it a safer option for use in certain environments. Additionally, pneumatic power sources are often more reliable and require less maintenance compared to electrical power sources.

4. What factors can affect the RPM of a rotatory atomizer powered by pneumatic?

The RPM of a rotatory atomizer powered by pneumatic can be affected by several factors, including the air pressure and flow rate of the pneumatic power source, the viscosity and surface tension of the liquid being sprayed, and the design and condition of the atomizer itself.

5. Can the RPM of a rotatory atomizer be adjusted?

Yes, the RPM of a rotatory atomizer can be adjusted by changing the air pressure and flow rate of the pneumatic power source, as well as the speed at which the atomizer is rotating. This allows for flexibility in the atomization process and can help achieve the desired spray pattern and droplet size for different applications.