Help: Chances at MSE/MBA with Math Undergrad

In summary, Johnno is a senior with a 3.4 cum GPA, degrees in Applied Mathematics (with a concentration in Physics and Biology) and Chemistry, and interests in doing a MSE/MBA combination in order to use his writing/organizational, mathematical, and science skills in industry. He has great recommendations from professors in the math/physics/chemistry/biology departments, but is concerned about not getting into an Ivy and not being likely to get funding for a Master's in an engineering field. He should email some of the programs he's interested in and ask if supporting underrepresented minorities is part of their mission statement or some such.
Eruditee
Hello everyone,

I am a recently graduated senior with a cum GPA of 3.4 with degrees in Applied Mathematics (with a concentration in Physics and Biology) and Chemistry. It would have been higher, save the 2 semesters that I was a biochem major and dropped below 3.0.

I am interested in doing a MSE/MBA combination in order to use my writing/organizational, mathematical, and science skills to their fullest in industry. I have great recommendations aside from the biochemistry department; however, the math/physics/chemistry/biology departments know the full caliber of my work and dedication.

Chem E. sounds rather interesting, and I hope the MBA and computer background will keep me away from the majority of the "wet-work". I also don't have much of a desire to attain a PhD due to time and other interests that I wish to pursue.

Personal/More Info:

• I am a gay African American male who has topped most of his chemistry/physics/biology/English classes, but not so much in biochem.
  • I am not particularly keen on PhD other than for the possible stipend. I simply cannot afford the MBA/MSE w/o a stipend, so I need to know if this is feasible.
  • I have experience in: Java/C/HTML/CSS/Matlab/Mathematica/SAS
  • Math classes were mostly applied in nature; I also ran a sustainability project and an acoustic project for computational physics (programmed in C).
  • I am proficient at writing and have written many technical reports that have been lauded both in the sciences and English department.
  • I have 3 particular people that will definitely give me "glowing" recs (Cornell-Educated Physical Chemist, prominent Statistician/Numerical Analyst, Electrical Engineer to give a few credentials). Probably more if I asked.
  • After switching from biochem (memorization was not doing it for me), my GPA stayed around a 3.5-3.6 while taking an average of 3 400 level and 3 400 level science/math classes per semester (36 credits senior year to finish math major in time).
  • I am known to be well at self-teaching. I taught myself Fluid Mechanics, Electromagnetics and Relativity, and Intro to Quantum. Professors/my transcripts have note this.

Should I apply to Ivy (Master's Level)? Does the MSE(Chemical Eng)/MBA sound like a good idea? Will finding funding to go full-time be feasible with grants/scholarships/and school aid?

Thank you,
John

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
no one cares that you're gay. on the other hand many people care that you're black. you're not likely to get into an ivy or even top 20. top 50 maybe

you're also not going to get funding for a master's unless you bring your own fellowship which you're not likely to find.

apply to your home school. industry won't care that you didn't go to ivy (especially since you want to manage).

ice109 said:
no one cares that you're gay. on the other hand many people care that you're black. you're not likely to get into an ivy or even top 20. top 50 maybe

you're also not going to get funding for a master's unless you bring your own fellowship which you're not likely to find.

apply to your home school. industry won't care that you didn't go to ivy (especially since you want to manage).
Thank you for keeping it in reality.

I don't really care much at all about Ivy or not. For some reason, my professors seem to be pushing that, even though I believed it was rather infeasible.

I completely understand not getting into an Ivy, but what would preclude me from getting into a top 50? That doesn't seem too far fetched to me. I can understand if my stats detailed complete failure, but they are far from it. Also, don't recommendations and such have great weight in these decisions as do my other research projects in various fields?

The main reason for me wanting a Master's is to get into Chemical Engineering. Unfortunately, my school didn't have that as an option and for a dumb reason, I didn't transfer.

Surely getting funding for a Master's in an engineering field through GEM (http://www.gemfellowship.org/apply/about-the-gem-fellowship ) cannot be out of reach.

Last edited by a moderator:
you simply don't understand how competitive these things are (fellowships and grad schools).

you didn't mention any research publications so i assume you don't have any. if you were first author on a couple of papers or just author on a lot of papers you would stand a decent chance (not even good) for a top 50 school but not a fellowship.

your record is simply too nebulous. most of the things you listed (e.g. being lauded by the english department and being an autodidact) are worthless as far as an admissions committee is concerned.

in the end though i don't know. you're black but your chances might be a lot better (and rightfully so) than i imagine.

email some of the programs you're interested in. ask them if supporting underrepresented minorities is part of their mission statement or some such thing. if it is only then might you have a good shot.

I can say that your academic background, skills, and experience make you a strong candidate for a MSE/MBA program. Your GPA may not be perfect, but your diverse coursework and strong recommendations from multiple departments show your dedication and ability to excel in various subjects.

It is definitely feasible to pursue a MSE/MBA combination, especially with your background in math, science, and computer skills. Your interest in using these skills in industry is also a valuable asset.

In terms of funding, it is always a good idea to explore all options, such as grants, scholarships, and school aid. It may also be worth considering applying to schools with strong financial aid programs or reaching out to potential mentors or advisors who may be able to provide funding opportunities.

Ultimately, the decision to apply to an Ivy League school or any other master's program should be based on your personal goals and interests. Consider researching different programs and talking to current students or alumni to gain a better understanding of the program and its potential impact on your career. Best of luck in your future endeavors!

FAQ: Help: Chances at MSE/MBA with Math Undergrad

What are the chances of getting into an MSE/MBA program with a math undergraduate degree?

The chances of getting into an MSE/MBA program with a math undergraduate degree can vary depending on several factors such as your GPA, test scores, work experience, and extracurricular activities. It is important to research and target specific programs that align with your qualifications and interests.

Is a math undergraduate degree suitable for an MSE/MBA program?

Yes, a math undergraduate degree can be suitable for an MSE/MBA program. Math skills such as analytical thinking, problem-solving, and quantitative analysis are highly valued in business and engineering fields. However, it is important to also have a strong foundation in business and management concepts.

Do I need work experience to get into an MSE/MBA program with a math undergraduate degree?

While work experience is not always required, it can strengthen your application and increase your chances of being accepted into an MSE/MBA program. It shows that you have practical experience and can apply your knowledge in a professional setting.

What can I do to improve my chances of getting into an MSE/MBA program with a math undergraduate degree?

Some ways to improve your chances of getting into an MSE/MBA program with a math undergraduate degree include maintaining a high GPA, preparing for and scoring well on standardized tests, gaining relevant work experience, participating in extracurricular activities related to your field of interest, and networking with professionals in the industry.

Are there any specific MSE/MBA programs that are suitable for math undergraduate students?

There are several MSE/MBA programs that are suitable for math undergraduate students, such as operations research, financial engineering, and data analytics. It is important to research and target programs that align with your career goals and interests.