Help check a related rate problem

• Thread starter neshepard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rate
In summary: I appreciate the help.In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving an oil spill spreading in a circular pattern. The area of the spill is increasing at a rate of 800 square feet for every 1 foot increase in its radius, which is increasing at a rate of 15 feet per hour. The question is what is the rate of change of the area with respect to time. The conversation involves a disagreement about the correct solution to the problem, with one person using A' to represent dA/dt and the other using A' to represent dA/dr. The correct solution is found by using the relationship dA/dt = dA/dr * dr/dt and not considering the constant 2
neshepard

Homework Statement

Before anybody tells me to check the web for this problem, I have and this is very different from what is out there.

An oil spill spreads in a circular pattern. Suppose the area is increasing at a rate of 800 square feet for every 1 foot increase in its radius (which is increasing at a rate of 15 feet per hour.) What is the rate of change of the area of the spill with respect to time?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I am looking for somebody to explain why my answer is wrong and the professors is right (and nobody needs to say because he's the professor). I asked and he couldn't explain this clearly and I am very curious. This was on our last test.

My attempt:
A=πr^2
A'=2πr
dr/dt=15 da/dr=800 find da/dt
da/dt=2*π*800*15
=24000π ft^2/hr

His answer:
da/dt=800*15
=12000 ft^2/hr

Why is his right and where is the 2π?

Physics news on Phys.org
neshepard said:

Homework Statement

Before anybody tells me to check the web for this problem, I have and this is very different from what is out there.

An oil spill spreads in a circular pattern. Suppose the area is increasing at a rate of 800 square feet for every 1 foot increase in its radius (which is increasing at a rate of 15 feet per hour.) What is the rate of change of the area of the spill with respect to time?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I am looking for somebody to explain why my answer is wrong and the professors is right (and nobody needs to say because he's the professor). I asked and he couldn't explain this clearly and I am very curious. This was on our last test.

My attempt:
A=πr^2
A'=2πr
da/dt=2*π*800*15
=24000π ft^2/hr

His answer:
da/dt=800*15
=12000 ft^2/hr

Why is his right and where is the 2π?

For this problem it's best not to use primes to indicate derivatives, because the prime doesn't indicate which variable your differentiation with respect to. IOW, in this equation you wrote, A'=2πr, does A' mean dA/dt or dA/dr?

From your work,
dA/dr = 800 ft2/ft
dr/dt = 15 ft/hr

So dA/dt = dA/dr *dr/dt = 800 ft2/ft * 15 ft/hr = 12,000 ft2/hr

Mark44 said:
For this problem it's best not to use primes to indicate derivatives, because the prime doesn't indicate which variable your differentiation with respect to. IOW, in this equation you wrote, A'=2πr, does A' mean dA/dt or dA/dr?

From your work,
dA/dr = 800 ft2/ft
dr/dt = 15 ft/hr

So dA/dt = dA/dr *dr/dt = 800 ft2/ft * 15 ft/hr = 12,000 ft2/hr

I worked the problem with A' being da/dt since the question is how big is the area getting with respect to time. Since the problem gave my a growth of 800ft^2 for every 1 foot of radius, I have to make that da/dr (or area in relation to radius) and 15 ft per hour as dr/dt (since it's radius in relation to time). But according to the professor, we can just throw out the constants 2π? Since I have nothing that can account for them, how is that possible?

Thanks for the help.

neshepard said:

My attempt:
A=πr^2
A'=2πr
da/dt=2*π*800*15
What was your thinking when you wrote down the last line? Just curious.

EDIT: I see you posted while I was editing, but even if you thought A'=da/dt, I don't see how you came up with that last line.

neshepard said:
I worked the problem with A' being da/dt
If A = πr2, then A' = 2πr means dA/dr. You have differentiated with respect to r to get 2πr.

The assumption in this problem is that A is a function of r, and r is a function of t, so A is also a function of t.

The relationship is dA/dt = dA/dr * dr/dt, something I stated in my earlier post.

There is no point in calculating dA/dr, since you are given what it is; namely, 800 ft2/ft. The 800 ft2 is already the area of a circular region, so you don't need to find its radius and calculate it.

neshepard said:
since the question is how big is the area getting with respect to time. Since the problem gave my a growth of 800ft^2 for every 1 foot of radius,
Again, this is your dA/dr.
neshepard said:
I have to make that da/dr (or area in relation to radius) and 15 ft per hour as dr/dt (since it's radius in relation to time). But according to the professor, we can just throw out the constants 2π? Since I have nothing that can account for them, how is that possible?

Thanks for the help.

The constant 2π didn't get thrown out because it didn't enter into things in the first place. If I asked you what is the area of a circle whose area is 10 ft2, would you try to find the radius and then compute the area from that?

One other thing. You started with A for area. Don't switch to a to mean the same thing as A.

vela said:
What was your thinking when you wrote down the last line? Just curious.

EDIT: I see you posted while I was editing, but even if you thought A'=da/dt, I don't see how you came up with that last line.

vela-Probably why my problem is wrong is what the last line means..lol!

(As an aside, I didn't switch the a's for A's or anything, i don't type as fast as i think and I will sometimes not Capitalize A letter is all that was...but it does seem that given what I wrote, i would mean the same thing with dA/dt and da/dt (or DR/dt and dr/dt) etc.)

I appreciate the help from Mark44 though and the above is not meant as an attack or anything, just to let you know.

My point about the capitalization is that if you get sloppy and aren't consistent with your use of variables, it will come back around and bite you when a problem has, say, both a and A in it. Or r and R, as did a problem posted here in the last week.

Related to Help check a related rate problem

1. What is a related rate problem?

A related rate problem is a type of mathematical problem in which the rates of change of two or more variables are related to each other. These problems often involve finding the rate of change of a quantity at a specific point in time.

2. How do I approach solving a related rate problem?

To solve a related rate problem, you should first identify the variables involved and determine the relationship between them. Then, differentiate the relationship with respect to time and plug in the given values to find the rate of change of the desired quantity.

3. What are some common examples of related rate problems?

Some common examples of related rate problems include finding the rate of change of the volume of a cone as its height changes, or the rate of change of the distance between two moving objects.

4. Can you provide any tips for solving related rate problems?

One helpful tip for solving related rate problems is to draw a diagram and label all the given information. This can help you visualize the problem and better understand the relationship between the variables.

5. How do I know if I have solved a related rate problem correctly?

You can check your answer by plugging in the given values and ensuring that the rates of change for all variables are consistent with the given information. You can also try solving the problem using a different approach to see if you get the same answer.

Back