Help choosing a university in Arizona

• Schools
  • Thread starter Lance280z
  • Start date
  • Tags
    University
In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of universities in Arizona that offer degrees in Aerospace Engineering. The speakers mentioned Yavapai College, Embry Riddle, ASU, and U of A as potential options. Cost and the influence of the school on future careers were also discussed. The general consensus was that U of A and ASU are both well-respected schools, with U of A being considered the best in Arizona. Some speakers also mentioned the benefits of attending U of A, such as career opportunities and a diverse student body. Others suggested choosing the school with the most affordable tuition.
Lance280z
Hello everyone! I just signed up and spent the entire morning searching and reading threads on the forum.

I've been doing research on universities in Arizona that offer degrees in Aerospace Engineering. I'm currently attending Yavapai college and have been for the past few semesters as it is convenient, affordable and the credits transfer easily to the other universities in AZ.

I was all set to start at Embry Riddle in the fall to finish out my engineering degree but I am having a hard time coping with the cost of tuition. I know it is an excellent school but both ASU and U of A offer aerospace degrees at about $20k less per year. I am a first generation college student and am 27 years old so the cost is all on my shoulders.

I'm wondering what influence the school you graduate from has on a future career. Does the school influence that much or is it primarily grades? I'd only be looking as far as a four year degree with the possibility of graduate school in the future. Also, does anyone have an opinion of the schools in AZ? I'm looking at Embry Riddle, ASU and U of A. Any input is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Has anyone heard anything about these schools' engineering programs in general?

Lance280z said:
Has anyone heard anything about these schools' engineering programs in general?

U of A is the best school in Arizona. It is truly world class.

Arizona state is a well known, and respected school.

Embry Riddel may be well known in particular niches I am not conversant in, but it is not generally considered a top-tier school.

If you're planning to get a job straight out of undergrad, sadly your choice of school does matter. If nothing else, companies recruit more at the better school. It's not really fair, but it is reality.

So of the three you would recommend U of A? I get conflicting opinions on their engineering school...

Lance280z said:
So of the three you would recommend U of A? I get conflicting opinions on their engineering school...

One of the best engineers I know went to U of A (Mechanical). But Arizona State is also quite strong. You really can't go wrong.

Go to whichever is most financially easy for you. ASU ranks higher than U of A in engineering (both undergraduate and graduate) according to US News, if that matters to you. You'll do fine at whichever school you attend.

I am currently a student in The University Of Arizona studying chemical engineering. A friend of mine is studying Aerospace Engineering and it seems like he really enjoys studying it here. Raytheon is also in Tucson so they often come here during career fairs and recruit interns for the summer break. What I can tell you is that I really enjoy the UofA and I am very proud to say that I study engineering here. My brother also graduated from the UofA with an electrical engineering degree and he was very pleased with their program. Now he is working for an engineering design firm. Anyways, you can't go wrong with UofA. It is a big school with a lot of diversity, it has a better reputation than ASU and the women are hot.

I am an ASU student; I would suggest that you go where the money is. ASU is cheaper than U of A, and the social and educational experience will be essentially the same at either.

Tucson does have nicer hiking though, if you're into that sort of thing...

FAQ: Help choosing a university in Arizona

1. What are the top universities in Arizona?

The top universities in Arizona are Arizona State University, University of Arizona, and Northern Arizona University. These universities have a strong reputation for academic excellence and offer a wide range of programs and opportunities for students.

2. What factors should I consider when choosing a university in Arizona?

Some important factors to consider when choosing a university in Arizona include the academic programs offered, campus location and size, cost and financial aid options, campus culture and diversity, and available resources and support for students. It is also important to consider your personal interests and goals to find a university that aligns with your future plans.

3. What are the tuition and fees for universities in Arizona?

Tuition and fees vary depending on the university and program of study. In-state tuition for Arizona residents at public universities ranges from around $10,000 to $13,000 per year, while out-of-state tuition can cost upwards of $30,000 per year. Private universities tend to have higher tuition costs, ranging from $30,000 to $50,000 per year. It is important to research and compare the costs of different universities to find the best fit for your budget.

4. Are there any notable scholarships or financial aid options available for universities in Arizona?

Yes, there are many scholarships and financial aid options available for universities in Arizona. These include merit-based scholarships, need-based grants, and scholarships specifically for Arizona residents. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities to help offset the cost of tuition and fees.

5. What is the student life like at universities in Arizona?

Student life at universities in Arizona is vibrant and diverse. The state offers a mix of urban and suburban environments, as well as a variety of extracurricular activities and organizations for students to get involved in. Additionally, Arizona's warm climate and beautiful landscapes make it a popular destination for outdoor activities and recreation.