Help complex equation cos(z) = -isin(z)

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the equation cos(z) = -i*sin(z) for a complex number z. The attempt at a solution involves manipulating the equation to get exp(i*z) = 0, and then solving for z. However, it is pointed out that the solution is not correct as it does not account for the possibility of 0 being a complex number and the final solution should be the intersection of cos(z)=0 and sin(z)=0. The conversation ends with an acknowledgment of the mistake.
Carl140

Homework Statement

Let z be a complex number. I want to solve cos(z)= -i*sin(z).

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's my work:

cos(z) = -i*sin(z) implies cos(z) + isin(z) = 0.
Therefore exp(i*z) = 0. Now put z= x+iy then i*z = i*(x+iy) = ix - y, hence
exp(i*z) = exp(ix-y) = exp(ix)*exp(y) =0 but exp(y) is always nonzero so this implies
exp(i*x) = 0 hence cos(x)+i*sin(x) =0 thus cos(x)=0 and sin(x)=0 which is impossible.

So I think there are no solutions. Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
No. Here, 0 is also a complex number (0+i0). Now you have cosz + isinz=0+i0. As the real and imaginary parts must be equal, you have two conditions, cosz=0 and sinz=0. That gives you values for z and the total solution is the union of those two solutions.

chaoseverlasting said:
No. Here, 0 is also a complex number (0+i0). Now you have cosz + isinz=0+i0. As the real and imaginary parts must be equal, you have two conditions, cosz=0 and sinz=0. That gives you values for z and the total solution is the union of those two solutions.
No. First off, you are implicitly assuming that cos z and sin z are real. Secondly, the total solution will be the intersection, not union.

Carl140: You're analysis is correct.

D H said:
No. First off, you are implicitly assuming that cos z and sin z are real. Secondly, the total solution will be the intersection, not union.

Carl140: You're analysis is correct.

You're right. My mistake. I messed up.

Related to Help complex equation cos(z) = -isin(z)

1. What is a complex equation?

A complex equation is an equation that involves complex numbers, which are numbers that have both a real and imaginary component. These numbers are typically represented in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

2. What is the meaning of cos(z) = -isin(z)?

This equation represents the trigonometric functions cosine and sine applied to a complex number z. The real part of z is equal to the cosine of z, while the imaginary part is equal to the negative sine of z.

3. How do you solve a complex equation like cos(z) = -isin(z)?

To solve this equation, you can use the Euler's formula, which states that e^(ix) = cos(x) + isin(x). By substituting z = x + iy into this formula, you can find the values of x and y that satisfy the equation.

4. What is the relationship between complex numbers and trigonometric functions?

Complex numbers and trigonometric functions are closely related through the Euler's formula. This formula allows us to express trigonometric functions in terms of complex numbers, and vice versa.

5. How can complex equations be applied in real life?

Complex equations are commonly used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, electrical engineering, and signal processing. They can also be used to model and understand complex systems in nature, such as fluid dynamics and quantum mechanics.

Back