Help Conserv. of Energy Momentum is Driving Me Crazy

In summary, to find the height above the table where the granite cube should be released to give the steel cube a speed of 200 cm/s, you can apply the conservation of momentum and energy equations. After the collision, the two cubes will behave as a single unit. First, find the velocity of the granite cube before the collision. Then, use the equation v^2=u^2+2as along the ramp, where v is the velocity before the collision, u is 0, and s is the distance traveled along the ramp. To find the acceleration, use F=ma along the ramp. Finally, use s*sin35 to find the desired height.
DrSmiles

Homework Statement

A 100 g granite cube slides down a 35 degree frictionless ramp. At the bottom, just as it exits onto a horizontal table, it collides with a 215 g steel cube at rest.
How high above the table should the granite cube be released to give the steel cube a speed of 200 cm/s?

Homework Equations

Conservation of momentum and energy equations. I don't know if there are more?

The Attempt at a Solution

For momentum: .1v1=.1v1_f+.215v2_f

For energy: .1(9.81)h=.5(.1)v1_f^2+.5(.215)v2_f^2

I know I'm supposed to solve a system of equations, but I have way too many variables right now. What am I doing wrong? What should I do next?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you done some sketches? Can you see a way of breaking this problem down into smaller parts?

Hi

Ill tell you the path to solve this. it seems that there is a lack of given data. to overcome that you have to do the following assumption.

after the collision the granite cube and the steel cube behaves as a single unit.

from the equations of conservation of momentum find the velocity of the granite cube before the collision.

then apply v^2=u^2+2as along the ramp. here v is the velocity of the granite cube before the collision, u=0. s is the distance traveled by the granite cube along the ramp.
to find a apply F=ma along the ramp.

finally s*sin35=the height you want

ragards
Ashanthi

Related to Help Conserv. of Energy Momentum is Driving Me Crazy

What is conservation of energy and momentum?

Conservation of energy and momentum is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total amount of energy and momentum in a closed system remains constant over time. This means that energy and momentum cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or transformed from one form to another.

Why is conservation of energy and momentum important?

Conservation of energy and momentum is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of physical systems. It allows us to analyze the motion and interactions of objects and determine the outcomes of various situations. It also plays a crucial role in many technological advancements and engineering applications.

What are some real-life examples of conservation of energy and momentum?

Some common examples of conservation of energy and momentum include a swinging pendulum, a bouncing ball, and a car collision. In each of these cases, the total energy and momentum of the system remains constant, even though it may be transferred or transformed in different ways.

How is conservation of energy and momentum related to Newton's laws of motion?

Conservation of energy and momentum is closely related to Newton's laws of motion, particularly the first and third laws. The first law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion in a straight line at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Both of these laws contribute to the conservation of energy and momentum in a system.

Are there any exceptions to conservation of energy and momentum?

While conservation of energy and momentum is a fundamental principle in physics, there are certain situations where it may not apply. These exceptions typically involve extreme conditions, such as when dealing with very small particles or very high speeds. However, in most everyday situations, conservation of energy and momentum holds true.