Help Design 4 to 16 decoder with given components

In summary, the task is to design a 4 to 16 decoder using a 3 to 8 decoder, two 2 to 4 decoders, two NOT gates, and two AND gates. The decoder must have enable inputs and the truth table for the decoder is provided. The key is to partition off the truth table according to the responsibility of each component and determine the logic required to enable the decoders for the corresponding outputs. This can be done by finding the inputs or their combinations that will drive the enable inputs high. The 3 to 8 decoder covers 8 outputs, while each 2 to 4 decoder covers 4 outputs. The solution can be determined by looking at the truth table and considering the constraints given
Her-0
I have been given the following components to design a 4 to 16 decoder:

I. One 3 to 8 decoder (with enable)
II. Two 2 to 4 decoder (with enable)
III. Two NOT gates
IV. Two AND gates

I just don't understand where the AND, NOT, and enables go into. I have attached two files One with the 3 to 8 decoder, Two 2 to 4 decoder w/o the NOT gates and AND gates.

Another one of me showing how i connected TWO 2 to 4 decoders to design a 3 to 8 decoder

Can anyone help me?

Attachments

• 4to16.jpg
    4to16.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 786
  • 3to8.jpg
    3to8.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 889
Physics news on Phys.org
The idea is exactly the same as the 3-8 from two 2-4 case. Do you understand what you did, why you did it, and why it works?

Start by drawing a simplified truth table for a 4-16 decoder (forget about enable)

S3 S2 S1 S0 | "ON" Output
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
0 0 0 0 | F0
0 0 0 1 | F1
0 1 0 0 | F4
0 1 0 1 | F5
1 0 0 0 | F8
1 1 1 1 | F15You know that your 4-16 decoder has 16 output lines, only one line may be high for any given input scenario, and you have 3 smaller blocks to build it from. Think about partitioning off the truth table according to responsibility of each of your components.

So, your truth table has 16 possibilities - your 3-8 decoder covers 8 of those, your 2-4 decoders cover 4 each. Find the logic required to ENABLE the 3-8 decoder when it's his turn. e.g. determine which of your inputs, or their combination, allow you to drive EN high for 8 lines of your truth table above. Also remember, 3-8 decoder has 3 address lines, not 4... (what does this mean for the address lines of your 3-8 and 2-4 decoders?)

Similarly, find what logic of your inputs will enable the 2-4 decoders for ONLY the outputs you assign to them. I see two, simple solutions for the given constraints. The truth table above should really give away the answer...

- Brian

I would first like to commend you for taking on the challenge of designing a 4 to 16 decoder with the given components. It can be a complex task, but with careful planning and understanding of the components, it is certainly achievable.

To begin, let's take a look at the components we have been given - a 3 to 8 decoder with enable, two 2 to 4 decoders with enable, two NOT gates, and two AND gates. These components can be used to create a 4 to 16 decoder by combining them in a specific way.

First, let's focus on the 3 to 8 decoder with enable. This component will be used as the main decoder, with its enable input acting as the control signal for the decoder. The two 2 to 4 decoders can be connected to the outputs of the 3 to 8 decoder, with the NOT gates and AND gates used to combine the outputs of the 2 to 4 decoders to create the remaining 8 outputs.

To be more specific, we can use the enable input of the 3 to 8 decoder as the control signal for the first 2 to 4 decoder, and the inverted enable input (through one of the NOT gates) as the control signal for the second 2 to 4 decoder. This will allow us to use the first 2 to 4 decoder for the first 4 outputs, and the second 2 to 4 decoder for the next 4 outputs.

To create the remaining 8 outputs, we can use the AND gates to combine the outputs of the first 2 to 4 decoder with the inverted outputs of the second 2 to 4 decoder. This will result in a total of 16 outputs, with each output corresponding to a unique combination of inputs.

In summary, the 3 to 8 decoder with enable will serve as the main decoder, with its enable input controlling the two 2 to 4 decoders. The NOT gates and AND gates will be used to combine the outputs of the 2 to 4 decoders to create the remaining 8 outputs. With this arrangement, we have successfully designed a 4 to 16 decoder using the given components.

I hope this explanation has helped you understand how the components can be used to design the decoder. Remember, designing circuits requires careful planning and understanding of the components, so take your time and don't hesitate to seek help

FAQ: Help Design 4 to 16 decoder with given components

1. What is a 4 to 16 decoder?

A 4 to 16 decoder is a digital logic circuit that has 4 input lines and 16 output lines. It is used to decode a 4-bit binary input into one of the 16 possible output combinations.

2. What components are needed to design a 4 to 16 decoder?

The main components required to design a 4 to 16 decoder are 4 input lines, 16 output lines, and 4 AND gates. The input lines are used to input the 4-bit binary code, and the output lines represent the 16 possible output combinations. The AND gates are used to decode the input and produce the corresponding output.

3. How does a 4 to 16 decoder work?

A 4 to 16 decoder works by taking a 4-bit binary input and producing one of the 16 possible output combinations based on the input. The input is decoded using AND gates, which compare the input bits to a specific binary pattern and produce a high output if the pattern matches the input. The output lines are then activated based on the high outputs of the AND gates.

4. What are the applications of a 4 to 16 decoder?

A 4 to 16 decoder is commonly used in digital electronics to decode a 4-bit binary input into one of the 16 possible output combinations. It can be used in various applications such as address decoding in computer memory systems, data multiplexing, and demultiplexing, and in digital signal processing systems.

5. Can a 4 to 16 decoder be expanded to larger decoders?

Yes, a 4 to 16 decoder can be expanded to larger decoders by adding more input and output lines and using more AND gates. For example, a 5 to 32 decoder would have 5 input lines, 32 output lines, and 5 AND gates. This expansion can be continued to even larger decoders with more input and output lines.