Help double integral over a region question

In summary, Kidzonety has been struggling with finding the double integral of a specific function over a given region. They have tried different methods and always received -11.576 as the answer, which was marked incorrect by the autograder. They are hoping to learn what they did wrong and receive guidance. Another user, tiny-tim, suggests converting to polar coordinates and offers further suggestions, leading Kidzonety to discover their mistake.
kidzonety
I've tried this question with many different ways and i always got -11.576, but the autograder always marked it wrong. so hopefully i really did something wrong and you can teach me about it.

find the double integral of -3*x*y - 3*y over the region bounded by x^2 + y^2 = 9, y = 3x, and y = 0.

Thanks very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi kidzonety! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

The obvious way is to convert to polar coordinates (though of course you could also do it in x and y) …

I expect you've already tried that, but anyway show us how you did it, and then we'll see what went wrong, and we'll know how to help! :smile:

tiny-tim said:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

The obvious way is to convert to polar coordinates (though of course you could also do it in x and y) …

I expect you've already tried that, but anyway show us how you did it, and then we'll see what went wrong, and we'll know how to help! :smile:

Okay.
I just first converted the function to polar one which became -3*r3*cos(o)*sin(o) - 3*r2*sin(o) drdo
and just double integrate this over 0 <= r <= 3, and arctan(3) <= o <= pi/2.

(have a theta: θ and an integral: ∫ and a ≤ :wink:)
kidzonety said:
Okay.
I just first converted the function to polar one which became -3*r3*cos(o)*sin(o) - 3*r2*sin(o) drdo
and just double integrate this over 0 <= r <= 3, and arctan(3) <= o <= pi/2.

ok (except it's 0 ≤ θ ≤ arctan(3)) … now split that into two integrals, ∫∫-3*r3*cosθ*sinθ drdθ and ∫∫-3*r2*sinθ drdθ,

which are now just ∫-3*r3dr*∫cosθ*sinθdθ and ∫-3*r2dr∫sinθdθ :smile:

tiny-tim said:

(have a theta: θ and an integral: ∫ and a ≤ :wink:)

ok (except it's 0 ≤ θ ≤ arctan(3)) … now split that into two integrals, ∫∫-3*r3*cosθ*sinθ drdθ and ∫∫-3*r2*sinθ drdθ,

which are now just ∫-3*r3dr*∫cosθ*sinθdθ and ∫-3*r2dr∫sinθdθ :smile:

hey tiny-tim,
Ive found my mistake.
Thanks very much for your suggestions and advice!

Related to Help double integral over a region question

1. What is a double integral over a region?

A double integral over a region is a type of mathematical operation that calculates the volume under a curved surface or above a flat region in two-dimensional space. It involves finding the area of a region by dividing it into small rectangles and summing up their individual areas.

2. How do you solve a double integral over a region?

To solve a double integral over a region, you first need to determine the limits of integration for both variables. Then, you can use one of several methods, such as the Riemann sum or the method of disks or shells, to calculate the integral. It is also important to understand the properties of the function being integrated and the shape of the region.

3. What is the purpose of a double integral over a region?

The purpose of a double integral over a region is to find the volume of a three-dimensional object or the area of a two-dimensional region. It is also used in various applications such as physics, engineering, and economics to calculate quantities such as mass, center of mass, and moments of inertia.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving a double integral over a region?

Some common mistakes when solving a double integral over a region include incorrect limits of integration, forgetting to take into account the shape of the region, and making errors in the calculation of the integral. It is important to carefully check the setup and calculations to avoid these mistakes.

5. Can a double integral over a region have negative values?

Yes, a double integral over a region can have negative values. This can occur when the function being integrated has negative values within the region or when the region itself is oriented in a certain way. It is important to pay attention to the signs of the function and the orientation of the region when solving a double integral.

Back