Help! Egg Launcher Project for High Schooler

In summary, the person is trying to figure out the initial velocity of a projectile after having gravity only act on it. They are trying to find x(t) = A cos (w0*t). They are also trying to find v(intial) as a function of pi/2.
gogetagritz
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but will give it a shot.

I am helping out my little sis this weekend as she has an egg launcher project for high school. There are weight and dimension limitations of course, and I'm not quite clear on other rules (when I took this class ~8 years ago we made an air cannon, but I'm pretty sure those aren't allowed no). So I was thinking a slingshot.

I want to figure out the initial velocity after gravity was the only thing acting on it so I could find:
x(final)=V(intial)^2*sin(2theta)/g
and get an idea what kind of springy material I would need.

With acceleration=k (L2-L1)/m I was going around in circle trying figure out a way to get L2 (L2 being the extended length and L1 its rest legth) as a function of time, so I could integrate it. So I was thinking I could say this is a SHO and it has a solution of
x(t) = A cos (w0*t) ignoring phase because its staring at its maximum displacement? Then assuming that the prjectile have left the slingshot apparatus when L2=L1 or pi/2 I think, and just take v(intial) at pi/2 (ignoring time really knowing v is going to be at max) as v=A*w0. Giving me an initial veloicty as it exits the slingshot of:
v=(L2-L1)*(k/m)^(1/2)

Hope this is clear enough, I just wanted someone elses input. Or maybe someone knows a good way to get force(t) of a spring as it is contracting. The max dimensions are rectangular not square so I should probably figure out the difference between a larger k, smaller angle, and a 45 degree angle and a smaller k.

Physics news on Phys.org
Measure the extensions of the slingshot as a result of adding loads to it (hanging vertically). This will give you a force vs extension graph. The area under the graph gives you the work done by the slingshot as it contracts (count the squares under the graph). Via the work-kinetic energy theorem you have that the change in kinetic energy of the projectile is given by the work done by the force exerted on it (ignoring a change in gravitational potential energy).

Oh that's a good idea, i can just take potential to kenetic energy to momentum. I was planning on putting weights on it to see how big the nonlinear terms of the elastic constants are, but this will kill two birds with one stone. I suppose I could have just done a numerical integration from the begining.

Another way of doing it is kinematically (walking to and fro) - shoot the projectile horizontally and measure the range. Use projectile theory to calculate the launching speed. Maybe plot it as a function of the final stretch length? I am not clear on what you want to quantify - it gives me a headache to try and understand what you are saying in your original post.

Last edited:

FAQ: Help! Egg Launcher Project for High Schooler

1. What is the purpose of the Egg Launcher Project for High Schooler?

The purpose of the Egg Launcher Project for High Schooler is to teach students about projectile motion, engineering design, and problem-solving skills. It is a fun and hands-on way for students to apply scientific concepts in a real-life scenario.

2. How does the Egg Launcher Project work?

The Egg Launcher Project works by using a combination of potential and kinetic energy. A rubber band is stretched to create potential energy, which is then released to launch the egg. The egg then travels through the air, experiencing both horizontal and vertical motion due to gravity and air resistance.

3. What materials are needed for the Egg Launcher Project?

The materials needed for the Egg Launcher Project include a cardboard tube, rubber bands, a plastic spoon, duct tape, and an egg. Optional materials may include additional cardboard, paper cups, and markers for decoration.

4. Is the Egg Launcher Project safe for high school students?

Yes, the Egg Launcher Project is safe for high school students when proper safety precautions are taken. Students should wear safety goggles and be instructed on how to handle the egg launcher safely. It is also important to follow the project instructions carefully and use appropriate materials.

5. What are the educational benefits of the Egg Launcher Project?

The Egg Launcher Project has several educational benefits, including teaching students about physics and engineering concepts, promoting critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and allowing students to apply their knowledge in a hands-on and fun way. It also encourages teamwork and collaboration as students work together to design and test their egg launchers.

Back