HELP Extremely difficult calculus problem

• Thread starter don1231915
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the equation for finding the max volume of a cuboid with lateral dimensions (x,y) is y=sqrt(1296-x^2). Differentiating yields x and y, which together with the constraint that they must be within the range (0,36) gives the max volume: V=300xy.
don1231915
HELP!Extremely difficult calculus problem! Optimising to find the maximum volume.

d(x)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

If you assume the cuboid's lateral dimensions to be (x,y), the point of contact at (x,y,z) with the ellipsoid will give you its height. Then given the various constraints you have - find (x,y) that maximizes the volume... There will be several points at the ends of these intervals that could be the maximum, but you have to look for local internal maxima as well.

where is the question? i don't see it

Looks like the OP edited it and deleted it by mistake...

seto6 said:
where is the question? i don't see it

I have a upside down looking curve structure (½ ellipse). It has the following specifications:
The building has a rectangular base 150m long and 72m wide. The max height of the structure should not exceed 75% of its width or be less than half the width. And the min. height of a room in the building is 2.5m

The height of the structure is 36m
so acc. to my graph: http://imageupload.org/pt-112919260786.html

The equation is y= sqrt (1296-x^2)
How to find the dimensions of a cuboid with max. volume which fits inside this curve?

PLS REPLY

SEngstrom said:
If you assume the cuboid's lateral dimensions to be (x,y), the point of contact at (x,y,z) with the ellipsoid will give you its height. Then given the various constraints you have - find (x,y) that maximizes the volume... There will be several points at the ends of these intervals that could be the maximum, but you have to look for local internal maxima as well.

that method is really complex, i mean is there any other way rather than using 3d graphs?
Like, differentiating or something
also, isn't the local maximum just (0,36)

Thank you so much for helping me!

If you let the axis of the ellipse be (a,b,c) and the cuboid have the size (2x,2y,z) - the point of contact is defined by
[tex](x/a)^2+(y/b)^2+(z/c)^2=1[/tex]
Maximize x*y*z with this constraint.

(x,y)=(0,36) would have zero volume so, no, that is not a maximum, local or otherwise.

SEngstrom said:
If you let the axis of the ellipse be (a,b,c) and the cuboid have the size (2x,2y,z) - the point of contact is defined by
[tex](x/a)^2+(y/b)^2+(z/c)^2=1[/tex]
Maximize x*y*z with this constraint.

(x,y)=(0,36) would have zero volume so, no, that is not a maximum, local or otherwise.

Cool, so that would just be x+y+z= 18, i can't download autograph (the only best 3d graphing software). I am super curious about how the graph of this might look like. Any ideas about the software?
That is a really in depth explanation and sounds difficult too. I actually wanted to keep it simple. So what I did was found out the volume
V= 300xy
i plugged in y with the equation of the ellipse (y = sqrt(1296-x^2)) and then differentiated and found x and therefore y and also the max volume.
Thank you so much for your help!
I have one final question, I know the max volume of the cuboid. I just need to know the volume of the structure (i.e. curve).
I know how to find the area using the integral but would that be the same as volume??

Thanks again

Related to HELP Extremely difficult calculus problem

1. What makes this calculus problem extremely difficult?

This calculus problem may be considered extremely difficult because it involves complex mathematical concepts and requires a high level of problem-solving skills.

2. Can you provide a step-by-step solution to this problem?

As a scientist, I am trained to approach problems systematically and provide solutions based on evidence and logical reasoning. However, without further details about the specific calculus problem, it is difficult for me to provide a step-by-step solution. I recommend seeking the help of a math tutor or consulting online resources for assistance.

3. Is there a shortcut or trick to solving this problem?

Calculus problems can be challenging, and there is no universal shortcut or trick that can solve all problems. It is important to understand the underlying concepts and practice regularly to improve problem-solving skills. However, there may be specific techniques or formulas that can be applied to certain types of problems.

4. How can I improve my calculus skills to solve difficult problems?

The best way to improve calculus skills is through practice. Start with basic problems and gradually increase the difficulty level. It is also helpful to seek guidance from a teacher or tutor, and to utilize online resources such as practice exercises, videos, and interactive tools.

5. Is this calculus problem relevant to any real-world applications?

Many real-world problems can be modeled and solved using calculus. It is a fundamental tool in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. However, not all calculus problems have direct real-world applications, and some may simply serve as exercises to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.