Help find the force of compression

In summary, the force of tension in the chain is 534N and the force of compression in the support bar is 495N. A free body diagram was used to determine these values, with a given mass of 20.4 kg at an angle of 22 degrees. The equation Fgravity=mg=20.4*9.8=200N was used to calculate the vertical component of tension, and x-Tcos(22)=0 was used to determine the horizontal component.
dani123
Find the force of tension in the chain. Determine the force of compression in the support bar. Be sure to include a free body diagram as part of your solution.

Now the only information given is a mass=20.4 kg and the angle 22 degrees.

If anyone could help me with this question, it would be greatly appreciated! THANK YOU SO MUCH in advance!

This is what I attempted to do to find a solution:
Fgravity= mg=20.4*9.8=200N

Then to find the tension I did the following:
Tcos(90-22degrees)-200N=0
0.375*T=200N
T=534N------> this would be our vertical component

Resolving horizontally gives:
x-Tcos(22)=0
x=534N*0.927
x=495N

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi dani123! welcome to pf! :wink:

(i assume the support bar is horizontal)

yes that's fine :smile:

is anything worrying you about that?​

Not anymore! haha I just wasn't feeling very confident with my answer! Thank you very much!

Related to Help find the force of compression

1. What is the force of compression?

The force of compression is the amount of pressure or squeezing force applied to an object in order to decrease its volume.

2. How is the force of compression calculated?

The force of compression can be calculated by dividing the change in pressure by the change in volume of the object. This is known as Hooke's Law, which states that the force applied to an elastic object is directly proportional to the amount of deformation.

3. What are some examples of objects that experience compression?

Some examples of objects that experience compression include springs, rubber bands, and air-filled balloons. Buildings and bridges can also experience compression due to the weight of the structure and the force of gravity.

4. What are the units of measurement for force of compression?

The units of measurement for force of compression are typically newtons (N) or pounds (lbs). However, other units such as kilograms (kg) or ounces (oz) may also be used.

5. How is the force of compression relevant to everyday life?

The force of compression is relevant to everyday life in many ways. It is used in engineering and construction to design and build structures that can withstand compressive forces. It is also important in healthcare, as doctors and physical therapists use compression to aid in healing and recovery from injuries. Additionally, the concept of compression is essential in understanding how objects behave under pressure, such as when squeezing a sponge or pressing on a car's brakes.