HELP Find the mass in this inclined pulley system, required to move the 2 masses

In summary: If Fs =μmgcos(25) and m1=47 kg, then m2=35 kg and a=-2.77m/s^2.In summary, the masses will not begin to move if they are held in place and then released. If you added the mass that you calculated in the back of the textbook, the masses would have an acceleration of 5.7 m/s^2.
dani123
In this problem they show a diagram of a pulley system with an inclined plane (25 degree incline). There is a box called m1=47kg resting on the incline plane and m1=35kg hanging on the vertical line. The question reads: The coefficient of friction between m1 and the surfvace of the inclined plane are Ustatic=0.42 and Ukinetic=0.19.
a)if the masses are held in place and then released , will they start to move? ------> I know the answer is NO.
b)how much mass would you have to add to m2 to cause the masses to begin to move? ----> The answer should be 2.8kg but I don't know how the book got this answer.
c)If you said no to a) and added the mass that you calculated in b), what would be the acceleration of the masses? ---> answer given in the back of textbook is 5.7 m/s^2

ANY help with this problem would be greatly appreciated! THANK YOU SO MUCH in advance :)

For m1=47kg
Fparallel=mgsin(25)=194.7N
Fg=47*9.8=461N
Fperpendicular=Fn=417N
Ffk=uk*Fn=0.19*417=79N

Applying Newton's 2nd law to m1
Fparallel-Ff-Ft=194.7-79-Ft=47*a

For m2=35kg
Fg=35*9.8=343N

Apply Newton's 2nd law to m2
Ft-343N=35*a

combine the two equations involving acceleration and cancelling out the force of tensions... this only leads us to an equation that ends up giving us a=-2.77m/s^2... but this is where I am stuck... how do I find the mass required to get both masses to move?!

can we assume the acceleration is equal to 1 when we are trying to determine the mass of m2, since they did not specify in the question?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Would it be safe to say that the acceleration is equal to 1 if they do not specify in the question?

You know that the force of static friction is Fs≤μmgcos(25). Calculate the static friction when a=0 and check if it is less than μmgcos(25). Then suppose that Fs =μmgcos(25) and find the mass to add to m2 so you get a=0.

ehild

Do I use the m2 for both of those equations?

The force of friction is calculated for m1=47 kg.
Do what you did in the first post: Collet the forces acting both m1 and m2, and cancel the tension.

ehild

Related to HELP Find the mass in this inclined pulley system, required to move the 2 masses

1. How can I find the mass in this inclined pulley system?

To find the mass in this system, you will need to use the formula: m = (M1 * sinθ) / (1 - sinθ). M1 represents the mass hanging from the incline and θ represents the angle of the incline.

2. What is the purpose of finding the mass in this inclined pulley system?

Finding the mass in this system helps determine the amount of force needed to move the two masses. It is an important factor in understanding the mechanics of the system.

3. Can I use any unit of measurement for the mass in this inclined pulley system?

Yes, you can use any unit of measurement for the mass as long as it is consistent throughout the calculations. However, it is recommended to use units such as kilograms or grams for accuracy.

4. Is there a specific angle that needs to be used in the formula?

Yes, the angle used in the formula should be the angle of the incline in the system. This can be measured using a protractor or determined by the setup of the system.

5. What happens if the mass in this inclined pulley system is too heavy?

If the mass is too heavy, it may require more force to move the two masses. This could potentially lead to the system not functioning properly or even breaking. It is important to ensure that the mass used is appropriate for the system.