Help finding a research question

• Thread starter Melancholy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Research
In summary, for an IB Extended Essay in physics, it is recommended to choose a research question that explores the relationship between two variables, with a focus on modern day problems. Some suggested topics include alternative forms of battery and fuel, computing and quantum computing, extrasolar planets and habitability, super materials like graphene, and the nature of dark matter and dark energy. Another timely topic is space elevators and the use of carbon nanofibers in their construction. A feasibility study could also be a viable essay topic.
Melancholy

Homework Statement

For my IB course i have to write an Extended Essay, i will most likely be writing mine in physics (I take physics higher level). I have been having trouble coming up with some ideas on what i could write about, the essay should be 4,000 words max so i need a fairly beefy subject. It would be helpful if the research question is structured in the form of "How is Y dependent on X?" i have also been told that it would be beneficial if the research question is relevant to modern day problems.

Homework Equations

Not really that relevant here :p

The Attempt at a Solution

My first idea was in chemistry, i had the idea to create an alternative form of battery that uses electrolysis to charge, water would be separated whilst charging into H2 and O2, then converted back to water through a hydrogen fuel cell creating a charge. My second idea was in math, the idea was to investigate using different algorithms to create realistic looking terrain, i have experience programming as a hobby so this seemed like the obvious solution, but i am very unlikely to get a good mark on this subject. My third idea was to investigate the properties of water filtering through a pinhole.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could take your battery idea and extend it into the area of alternative fuels. Compare and contrast the pros and cons of all the alternative fuels that are on the horizon. Hydrogen, ethanol, Lithium ion batteries...

This keeps you relevant to modern day problems.

Some ideas for modern day problems in physics:

-Computing progress and Quantum computing
-Extrasolar planets and and habitability
- Applications of super materials like graphene
- The nature of Dark matter and/or Dark energy

Or something very topical is space elevators and carbon nano-fibres and similar materials.
A feasability study could be a possible essay

It sounds like you have some interesting ideas already, but here are a few suggestions for potential research questions in physics that may be relevant to modern day problems:

1. How is the efficiency of solar panels dependent on the angle of incidence of sunlight?
2. How does the viscosity of a fluid affect the motion of a falling object through it?
3. How does the presence of microplastics affect the thermal conductivity of water?
4. How does the strength of an electromagnet depend on the number of coils in the wire?
5. How does the temperature of a fluid affect the rate of convection in a convection cell?
6. How does the wavelength of light affect the efficiency of photosynthesis in plants?
7. How is the strength of an earthquake dependent on the type of fault it occurs on?
8. How does the shape of a parachute affect its terminal velocity?
9. How does the mass of a pendulum affect its period of oscillation?
10. How does the concentration of a solute affect the rate of diffusion through a membrane?

Remember to choose a research question that you are truly interested in and that has enough available information and resources for you to conduct a thorough investigation. Good luck with your Extended Essay!

Related to Help finding a research question

What is the importance of finding a good research question?

Finding a good research question is crucial because it sets the foundation for your entire research project. A well-defined question will guide your research and help you stay focused on a specific topic. It also allows you to contribute something new and meaningful to your field of study.

How do I come up with a research question?

There are several approaches to generating a research question. You can start by identifying a gap in the current literature, exploring a topic that interests you, or conducting a preliminary literature review to see what questions have already been answered and what areas need further investigation.

What makes a good research question?

A good research question should be clear, specific, and feasible. It should also be relevant to your field of study and have the potential to contribute new knowledge. Additionally, a good research question should be answerable through empirical research and should not be too broad or too narrow.

What should I avoid when formulating a research question?

When formulating a research question, it is important to avoid vague or overly broad questions. These can be difficult to answer and may lead to a lack of focus in your research. It's also important to avoid questions that are too biased or leading, as this can affect the objectivity of your study.

Can I change my research question during the research process?

It is common for research questions to evolve or change during the research process. As you gather more information and data, you may discover that your original question needs to be refined or adjusted. However, it's important to have a well-defined research question before starting your research to ensure a clear direction and purpose for your study.