Help finding a scaled down length? Easy for smart people, unlike me :-)

• MHB
  • Thread starter matheus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Length
In summary, the side of the roof on a scaled down model would need to be around 29.34 cm long if it is to be based off of a central support pole that is 20 cm in height.
matheus
Hi guys,

I need to figure out the length of the side of a roof on a scaled down model.

The picture below shows what I’m trying to calculate. The real house has a central support pole and it is 10 metres high, with length of the side of the roof at 14.67… metres.

If I was to make a scaled down model of this house where the central support pole is 20 cm, how would I calculate the side roof on the model?

As they say a picture tells a thousand words so I drew one up:

23rrgiu.jpg

I have no idea how to calculate that length so if anyone can shed some light I’d be most grateful :cool:

Cheers!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
matheus said:
Hi guys,

I need to figure out the length of the side of a roof on a scaled down model.

The picture below shows what I’m trying to calculate. The real house has a central support pole and it is 10 metres high, with length of the side of the roof at 14.67… metres.

If I was to make a scaled down model of this house where the central support pole is 20 cm, how would I calculate the side roof on the model?

As they say a picture tells a thousand words so I drew one up:
I have no idea how to calculate that length so if anyone can shed some light I’d be most grateful :cool:

Cheers!

10m = 1000cm. Notice that 1000/50 = 20, so the scaling factor is 1/50.

So what would the length have to be on your scale diagram?

Hi ProveIt.

Many thanks for your helpful reply :D

Ok so given what you pointed out, I would say that I need to convert the length in meters to centimeters and then divide by 50, which would give the model length to be around 29.34cm?

FAQ: Help finding a scaled down length? Easy for smart people, unlike me :-)

1. How do I calculate a scaled down length?

To calculate a scaled down length, you will need to know the original length and the scale factor. The scaled down length can be found by multiplying the original length by the scale factor. For example, if the original length is 10 cm and the scale factor is 0.5, the scaled down length would be 5 cm (10 cm x 0.5 = 5 cm).

2. What does "scaled down length" mean?

A scaled down length is a measurement that is smaller than the original length, determined by multiplying the original length by a scale factor. This is commonly used in models or representations of larger objects, where the actual size would be too large to work with.

3. How do I choose the appropriate scale factor for my project?

The appropriate scale factor will depend on the size of the original object and the size you want your scaled down version to be. Generally, a scale factor of 1:2 or 1:10 is used for models, but it can vary depending on the specific project. It's important to consider the level of detail and accuracy needed for your project when choosing a scale factor.

4. Can I use any unit of measurement for the scaled down length?

Yes, you can use any unit of measurement for the scaled down length as long as it is consistent with the original length. For example, if the original length is in meters, the scaled down length should also be in meters. This will ensure accuracy when working with your scaled down model.

5. Is there a formula for finding a scaled down length?

Yes, the formula for finding a scaled down length is: Scaled Down Length = Original Length x Scale Factor. This formula can also be written as SD = OL x SF. It is important to always include the units of measurement in your calculations to ensure accuracy.