Help Finding Average Acceleration

In summary: Based on the given information, the appropriate equation would be v^2 = u^2 + 2as. Plugging in the known values, we get a = -v^2/(2s). This gives an average acceleration of -129.6 m/s^2.
theintarnets

Homework Statement

NASA operates a 2.2 second drop tower at the Glenn Research Center in Ohio, where experimental packages are dropped from the top of the tower.
a) What is the drop distance of a 2.2 s tower?
b) How fast are the experiments traveling when they hit the airbags at the bottom of the tower?
c) If the experimental package comes to rest over a distance of .75 m upon hitting the airbags, what is the average stopping acceleration?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty sure I've got a & b correct, but I'm not sure how to go about solving part c. Can someone help me please?

x = 1/2*gt2 = .5*9.81*2.22 = 23.74 m

b) How fast are the experiments traveling when they hit the airbags at the bottom of the tower?
v = gt = 9.81 * 2.2 = 21.582 m/s

c) If the experimental package comes to rest over a distance of .75 m upon hitting the airbags, what is the average stopping acceleration?
I think one formula for acceleration is Δv/Δt but I'm not sure how to use that in this case...

Physics news on Phys.org
theintarnets said:

Homework Statement

NASA operates a 2.2 second drop tower at the Glenn Research Center in Ohio, where experimental packages are dropped from the top of the tower.

I'm pretty sure I've got a & b correct, but I'm not sure how to go about solving part c. Can someone help me please?

I think one formula for acceleration is Δv/Δt but I'm not sure how to use that in this case...

It's worth trying to commit the suvat equations to memory:
s = length, u = initial speed, v = final speed ... a and t you can probably guess!

v = u + at
s = ut + 0.5 at2
s = 0.5(u+v)t
v2 = u2 + 2as
s = vt - 0.5 at2

theintarnets said:

Homework Statement

You need to determine the stopping time.

For question (c) its energy problem. Refer to problem(b)

sacscale said:
You need to determine the stopping time.

azizlwl said:
For question (c) its energy problem. Refer to problem(b)

The distance, initial and final velocities are known. Does this situation not seem to be simply covered by one of the standard suvat equations?

NemoReally said:
The distance, initial and final velocities are known. Does this situation not seem to be simply covered by one of the standard suvat equations?

Indeed, but the OP seemed to have trouble determining which one.

FAQ: Help Finding Average Acceleration

What is average acceleration?

Average acceleration is a measure of how fast an object's velocity changes over a period of time. It is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

How do you find average acceleration?

Average acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula: average acceleration = (final velocity - initial velocity) / time.

What are the units for average acceleration?

The units for average acceleration are typically meters per second squared (m/s^2). However, other units such as miles per hour squared (mph/s^2) or kilometers per hour squared (km/h^2) may also be used.

What is the difference between average acceleration and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the overall measure of change in velocity over a period of time, while instantaneous acceleration is the measure of change in velocity at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration is calculated using the average velocity over a period of time, while instantaneous acceleration is calculated using the velocity at a specific point in time.

How is average acceleration used in real life?

Average acceleration is used in many real-life scenarios, such as calculating the acceleration of a car during a race, the acceleration of a roller coaster, or the acceleration of a falling object. It can also be used in physics experiments and simulations to understand and predict the behavior of moving objects.