Help Finding Volume of Gravel & Water in Graduated Cylinder

• Thread starter kevinli
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Desperate
In summary, the experiment was to find the volume of gravel and water in a graduated cylinder. The student mistakenly found the mass of the gravel and cylinder instead. They know the amounts of water and gravel used, but due to air spaces in the gravel, it is difficult to accurately determine the volume. It is suggested to repeat the experiment or find a way to measure the circumference of the gravel to estimate the volume.
kevinli

Homework Statement

Ok, so, I did a experiment in school and I was supposed to find the volume of gravel + water in a graduated cylinder. However I found the mass of the gravel, cylinder instead. I also know the amount of water and gravel I put in the graduated cylinder. Can someone please help me find the volume of the gravel + water instead.

Homework Equations

Gravel=25mL
Water=25mL
Gravel (mass)=34.5g
Cylinder (mass)= 40.2g
Water (mass)= 25.2g

The graduated cylinder I used is 100mL

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I doubt if it is possible. When you say 25 mL of gravel, that includes air space between the stones and there is no way to tell how much actual gravel you have unless you recorded the change in volume in the graduated cylinder as the gravel is added.

Looks like you need to do the experiment again. You should be able to find a graduated cylinder that you can borrow for a few minutes. Or use any cylindrical bottle and measure the circumference.

Is it at least possible to have a estimate. I mean, I am sure the total volume is less b/c of the air spaces but I cannot do the experiment again.

I think you are a little confused somewhere.
You say you had 25ml of gravel - which is a volume.

To convert the mass of gravel to volume you need the density - without knowing exactly what kind of rock it was this is a little tricky

Related to Help Finding Volume of Gravel & Water in Graduated Cylinder

1. How do I find the volume of gravel and water in a graduated cylinder?

To find the volume of gravel and water in a graduated cylinder, first, fill the cylinder with water and record the initial volume. Next, add the gravel to the cylinder and record the new volume. The difference between the two volumes will give you the volume of gravel. To find the volume of water, subtract the volume of gravel from the initial volume.

2. Can I use any type of graduated cylinder to measure the volume of gravel and water?

Yes, any type of graduated cylinder can be used to measure the volume of gravel and water. Just make sure to use one with an appropriate volume range for your sample size.

3. How do I ensure accurate measurements when using a graduated cylinder?

To ensure accurate measurements, make sure the graduated cylinder is on a flat surface and you are viewing the measurement at eye level. Also, make sure to read the measurement at the bottom of the meniscus (the curved surface of the water).

4. Is there a specific unit for measuring the volume of gravel and water?

The volume of gravel and water can be measured in any unit of volume, such as milliliters (mL) or cubic centimeters (cm3). Just make sure to use the same unit for both the initial and final volume measurements.

5. Can I measure the volume of gravel and water separately?

Yes, you can measure the volume of gravel and water separately by using two different graduated cylinders. Alternatively, you can also measure the volume of each substance by using the displacement method, where you fill the cylinder with only one substance and then add the other substance and record the new volume.