Help Finishing a Logistic Model

• Thread starter pjallen58
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Model
In summary, the individual is working on a population model using US population data. They have completed a scatter plot and linear regression and are now integrating the equation and using partial fractions to find the values for a and b. They have also found the value for C and have set up the equation to solve for P at different time intervals. However, they are unsure about swapping the denominator on the left with the numerator on the right when dealing with the exponential function. They welcome any advice or suggestions.
pjallen58
I am working on a population model using US population data. I have done a scatter plot, linear regression and now need to complete.

This is what I have:

y = .0287 - .0000917x

(1/P) (dP/dt) = b + aP

I have set this up to integrate and by keeping the variables a and b in the equation and using partial fractions get:

ln |P/(b + aP)| = bt + bC

ln |P/(.0287 - .0000917P)| = .0287t + .0287C

at t = 0, P0 = 3.9, so C = 1/.0287 ln 137.6

ln |P/(.0287 - .0000917P)| = .0287t + ln 137.6 the take exponential of each side

P/|.0287 - .0000917P| = 137.6e^.0287t

This is where it gets confusing. I pulled a P out of the denominator to get only one P

P/P|.0287/P - .0000917| = 137.6e^.0287t

1/|.0287/P - .0000917| = 137e^.0287t

I think I should swap the denominator on the left with the numerator on the right but not sure if I can do this with "e". Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why can't you do that with e?

FAQ: Help Finishing a Logistic Model

What is a logistic model?

A logistic model is a mathematical model that is used to describe the growth or decline of a population or system over time. It is often used in biology, economics, and other fields to predict future trends or outcomes.

How do I create a logistic model?

The first step in creating a logistic model is to gather data on the population or system you want to model. This data should include measurements of the population or system over time. Once you have the data, you can use statistical software or programs like Excel to fit a curve to the data points and create a logistic model.

What is the purpose of a logistic model?

A logistic model is used to make predictions about the future behavior of a population or system. It can also be used to analyze the effects of different variables on the population or system. This can help researchers and decision makers make informed choices about how to manage or improve the population or system.

How do I know if my logistic model is accurate?

To determine the accuracy of a logistic model, you can compare the model's predictions to actual data. If the model closely matches the data, it is considered accurate. You can also use statistical techniques to measure the goodness of fit, such as calculating the coefficient of determination (R-squared).

Can a logistic model be used for any type of population or system?

While logistic models are commonly used to model populations and systems, they are not suitable for all situations. They are best suited for populations or systems that exhibit S-shaped growth patterns, where growth initially increases rapidly and then levels off. Other types of models may be more appropriate for populations or systems with different growth patterns.

Back