Help i need a explanation for this

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment by astronomer William Herchel, where he observed changes in temperature as he moved a thermometer across different colors in a spectrum of light. This led to a discussion about the relationship between energy, frequency, and wavelength of electromagnetic rays, and the confusion about how energy can change when the frequency remains constant. The conversation ends with the realization that frequency and wavelength are two sides of the same coin, and changes in wavelength also correspond to changes in frequency.
Rico L
I got this from a book anyway

An astronomer called William Herchel used some very accurate and sensitive mercury thermometer, he placed one in front of a spectrum of light and found that as he moved it across the bands of different colors from violet to red,the temperature rose.

this what confuses me...

The equation for energy of the EM ray is E = hf which is Planks constant times the frequency, so that the energy is only depend on the frequency because the Planks constant is a constant...X)but from the experiment above, it seems that the energy changes because of the wavelength..."the temperature changed when he moved the thermometer across the bands of different colors," does it mean that the energy also changes when the wavelength are not the same because when the temperature changes which also suggests that the energy has to change... and the diffraction of light doesn't change the frequency but only the wavelength... If not... where the ... is that spare energy comes from?

please come up a explanation for this

please do correct if any of my knowledge is not right...

cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Realize that frequency and wavelength of light are related by speed = frequency X wavelength. So light of different 'wavelength' is also light of different 'frequency'. It's two sides of the same coin.

ooooh,,, thanks

FAQ: Help i need a explanation for this

1. What is the context or topic of the explanation I need?

The first step to finding an explanation is to clearly identify the topic or subject you need help with. This will help you narrow down your search and find more relevant and accurate explanations.

2. Why do I need an explanation for this?

Understanding the reasons behind why you need an explanation can help you approach finding one in a more effective way. It can also help you identify any knowledge gaps or misconceptions you may have about the topic.

3. Where can I find a reliable explanation?

The internet is a vast resource for information, but not all sources are equally reliable. It's important to use credible sources such as reputable websites, academic journals, or books written by experts in the field.

4. How can I ensure that the explanation is accurate?

One way to ensure the accuracy of an explanation is to cross-reference information from multiple sources. This can help you identify any discrepancies or biases in the information and form a more well-rounded understanding of the topic.

5. Can I get a personalized explanation?

In some cases, it may be helpful to seek out a personalized explanation from a teacher, tutor, or subject matter expert. This can provide a more tailored and in-depth understanding of the topic, and give you the opportunity to ask specific questions and clarify any confusion.