Help in Heat Trasnfer Module of COMSOL

In summary, the conversation discusses an issue with heat transfer through a bimetal material made of SiO2 and Aluminium. The heat does not transfer properly from the Aluminium side to the SiO2 side, and the appropriate boundary conditions for the interface are unknown. Suggestions are made for building the model using common surfaces to ensure proper heat transfer. The conversation ends with a request for further assistance from COMSOL users.
jatin1990
Hi i am simulating Heat transfer through bimetal that is builded by SiO2 on one side and Aluminium on other side. But when i apply heat source on one side(Aluminium side)the heat do not get transferred to the other side(SiO2 side) through the interface. Only Aluminium side is showing temperature distribution not the SiO2 side. I don't know what type of boundary condition i have to apply at the interface so that heat will get conducted through the interface from aluminium layer to SiO2 layer properly.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hhhmm...I was hoping some COMSOL user would come along and answer this seemingly simple issue.

I am not an FEA modeler, but I think I can offer a couple of ideas that might work.

If you build your model from the bottom up, i.e., creating points, then lines, then surfaces and then volumes.

You may think of building your SiO2 and Aluminum pieces separately but that is not correct as you will then need to figure out how to glue them together; instead, make sure you build the pieces by re-using the common surface.

In other words, instead of having 4 points from one piece on one end and another 4 points from the other, with 2 of the points being concurrent...you just really need 6 points...using the top 2 and the middle 2, you create lines and a surface for the end of one bar and using the bottom 2 and the middle 2 (again), you create the remaining lines and another surface for the end face of the other bar.

Proceed similarly with the rest of the points, create a single set of lines and surface for the middle common wall.

Create the two volumes re-using the common wall

I think after this, your model should behave as you expect...I hope.

On the flip side, if you are the kind of user that make models via volumes and boolean operations, I think you may be able to build a single volume as large as your bimetal piece, then come and split the piece right down the middle making sure to request something during the operation so that you do not end up with two separate bodies but with 2 pieces sharing a common wall...maybe you can find something along those lines ?

gsal

Related to Help in Heat Trasnfer Module of COMSOL

1. How do I set up a heat transfer simulation in COMSOL?

To set up a heat transfer simulation in COMSOL, you will need to create a new model and select the Heat Transfer Module. Then, define your geometry and add the necessary physics and materials. You can also specify boundary conditions and any other relevant parameters before solving the model.

2. What type of heat transfer modes can be simulated in COMSOL?

COMSOL allows for simulations of various heat transfer modes, including conduction, convection, and radiation. You can also simulate phase change, such as melting or solidification, and thermal stresses in materials.

3. Can I import my own material properties into COMSOL?

Yes, you can import material properties from external sources into COMSOL. These can be in the form of tables, equations, or user-defined functions. You can also define your own material properties within the software.

4. How do I visualize and analyze the results of my heat transfer simulation?

After solving your heat transfer model, COMSOL provides various post-processing tools to visualize and analyze the results. You can create temperature plots, heat flux plots, and temperature distributions, among others. You can also export the results for further analysis in other software.

5. Is there a limit to the complexity of heat transfer problems that can be solved in COMSOL?

COMSOL has powerful solvers and parallel computing capabilities, allowing for the simulation of complex heat transfer problems. However, the complexity of the problem may impact the simulation time and require more computational resources. It is best to consult the software's system requirements and use best practices to optimize your model for faster and more accurate simulations.

Back