Help interpreting a differential transpose

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an operator in an electron density distribution equation, where q and w_a are constants, r is the position vector, and R_a is the vector of the nucleus position. The operator contains a dipole moment represented by a row vector t_a and a 3x3 tensor w_a. The third term of the operator involves a differential transpose, and the conversation explores how this operator operates on the function. Different interpretations of the operator are discussed, including index notation and vector calculus.
moller07
Hi, I'm currently trying to decipher an equation in a paper I'm reading for research of my own. However, I am running to a little trouble interpreting their notation and was hoping some of the knowledgeable people on this forum might be able to help. I have attached the image containing the operator and the equation it operates on.

A little background on the equations: The equation it operates on is an electron density distribution, where q and w_a are constants. The variable r is the vector valued position at which you want to evaluate the density, and the variable R_a is the vector valued position of the nucleus. In the operator, the term t_a is a row vector representative of a dipole moment and the term w_a (or omega_a as it's properly written) is a 3x3 tensor.

How exactly this operator operates on the function is a little bit of a mystery to me, especially the part containing the differential transpose. Thus far, I have reasoned that the partial differential with respect to R_a of the function must yield a column vector, of which the components would be the obvious x, y, and z parts. This allows the product between t_a and this vector to once again yield a functional, which is an absolute requirement as having a matrix in my electron density functional would have no well defined meaning.

From this I can reason that in the 3rd term of the operator (counting 1 as the first), that starting from the right, I take the first partial differential and receive a column vector. I then operate with the 3x3 matrix and receive back another column vector. But then I reach the mystery operator, this differential transpose. Somehow by acting this operator on my column vector, I must get back a functional that is of use to me, and I have no idea how to do this.

I have been scouring math texts and the internet for help on this issue, and the closest information I've been finding is in subfields of matrix calculus, but even those have not really been of help to me. I am hoping that someone here might be knowledgeable and kind enough to help me. Thanks in advance.

(The equation and operator are attached as a jpeg image)

Attachments

• operator.jpg
    operator.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 394
Physics news on Phys.org
Writing it in index notation, I think it looks like this (dropping the a subscript so as not to obscure the indices):

[tex]\hat{D} = 1 + t_j\partial_j + \frac{1}{2}\partial_i\omega_{ij}\partial_j[/tex].

Here, [itex]\partial_j = \frac{\partial}{\partial R_j}[/itex]. Are you familiar with index notation?

If you don't know index notation but you do know vector calculus, then the following explanation probably makes more sense:

Basically, the second term could be interpreted as a dot product [itex]\mathbf{t}\cdot\nabla[/itex] where t is a column vector and [itex]\nabla[/itex] is the gradient operator.

The last term could be interpreted as [itex]\nabla \cdot (\tilde{\omega}\nabla)[/itex], where [itex]\tilde{\omega}[/itex] is the matrix representing omega and [itex]\nabla[/itex] is again the gradient operator which acts on the function in the first line of your attached equation to give a vector, which then multiplies the matrix omega to give another vector. You then take the divergence of the resulting vector.

Last edited:

FAQ: Help interpreting a differential transpose

1. What is a differential transpose?

A differential transpose is a mathematical operation that involves taking the transpose of a matrix and then adding a small perturbation to each element. It is commonly used in linear algebra and differential geometry.

2. How is a differential transpose different from a regular transpose?

A regular transpose simply involves switching the rows and columns of a matrix. A differential transpose also adds a small perturbation to each element, which can provide more information about the matrix and its properties.

3. What is the purpose of a differential transpose?

A differential transpose can be used to study the local properties of a matrix. It can help to identify symmetries, extrema, and other important features of the matrix.

4. How is a differential transpose used in scientific research?

A differential transpose is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It can be used to analyze systems and make predictions about their behavior. It is also used in optimization and machine learning algorithms.

5. Are there any limitations to using a differential transpose?

Like any mathematical operation, there are limitations to using a differential transpose. It may not be applicable to all types of matrices, and the results may not be accurate if the perturbation added is too large. It is important to carefully consider the context and applicability of a differential transpose before using it.