Help interpreting processed data (and their transforms)

• Thread starter rjseen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Data
In summary, the conversation discussed the spatial distributions of detected hits in figure 1 and the idea of taking its Fourier transform to analyze the pattern. The participants also questioned the interpretation of the regular pattern in figure 5 and the relationship between the red areas in figures 3 and 4 and the spatial distribution gradient. They also considered investigating detector effects from data with available position and momentum information. Overall, there were 6 figures in total, with every other figure matching and representing the first and last detector in a series of 4.
rjseen
Hi,

so I have the spatial distributions of detected hits in figure 1. When plotting fig 1 as a regular scatter plot I thought I could discern some sort of pattern. So I got the idea of taking its Fourier transform and to see the result of the analysis. I am not very well acquainted with the program I am using (yet), so I am not completely confident in that I've done everything correctly, but bare with me.

Questions:
- How can the regular pattern in figure 5 be interpreted? The striations in the pattern resemble what I could see in the scatter plot. What about the zigzag pattern?
- In figures 3 and 4, are the red areas equal to places in the spatial distribution where the gradient is the highest?
- When trying to determine detector effects from data, where position and momentum of the particles are available, what could be worth investigating?

Below are 6 figures in total. Every other figure matches. It's from the first and last detector in a series of 4.

2 first figures: spatial distribution of hits
2 middle figures: magnitude of the Fourier transform (I called it spatial frequency, not too sure there).
2 last figures: phase of Fourier transform

posBlinffcce.png

Figure 1. First detector. Beam is rather collimated.

posAlina313f.png

Figure 2. Last detector. More divergence, naturally.

fftmag07b83.png

Figure 3. First detector. Magnitude of Fourier transform.

fftAmaga2c29.png

Figure 4. Last detector. Magnitude of Fourier transfom.

fftfreq9949b.png

Figure 5. First detector. Phase of Fourier transform.

fftAfreq667ac.png

Figure 6. Last detector. Phase of Fourier transform.Cheers,
rjseen

rjseen said:
- In figures 3 and 4, are the red areas equal to places in the spatial distribution where the gradient is the highest?

I don't think you can deduce something like that with these information?
One thing you could do is make a new variable, let's say [itex]r[/itex] which shows you how spatially far away from the origin your events are [radius] :[itex]r= \sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/itex]. This variable (looking at the 1st plots) will get a high value for events close to r=0, (x=0,y=0) and drop as you move r>0.
You can do the same for the [itex]F_x,F_y[/itex] into a variable [itex]f[/itex]?
Then if you plot the f vs r I'm pretty sure you can deduce answers to this...
If for example what you say is true, then the places were [itex]f[/itex] will be red (where the Fx and Fy were if you created f correctly) will also correspond to places where r was red (eg within a band around r=0)...

FAQ: Help interpreting processed data (and their transforms)

1. What is processed data and why is it important?

Processed data refers to information that has been manipulated, organized, or transformed in some way to make it more meaningful or usable for a specific purpose. It is important because it allows scientists to extract valuable insights and draw conclusions from the raw data collected during an experiment or study.

2. What are some common data transforms used in data analysis?

Some common data transforms include normalization, standardization, logarithmic transformation, and polynomial transformation. These methods are used to adjust the data and make it more suitable for statistical analysis.

3. How do I know which data transform to use for my data?

The best data transform to use depends on the type of data you have and the goal of your analysis. It is important to understand the characteristics of your data and consult with a data analyst or statistician for guidance on the most appropriate transform for your specific dataset.

4. What is the difference between linear and nonlinear data transforms?

A linear data transform involves changing the scale of the data without changing its shape, while a nonlinear data transform involves changing both the scale and shape of the data. Linear transforms are typically used for data that follows a normal distribution, while nonlinear transforms are better suited for data with non-normal distributions.

5. Can data transforms introduce bias into my analysis?

Yes, data transforms can introduce bias if they are used inappropriately or if the assumptions underlying the transform do not hold true for the data. It is important to carefully evaluate the results of any data transform and consider potential biases that may have been introduced.

Back