[Help]LED light on a speaker circuit.

In summary, the speaker switch will allow the user to switch between two computers playing on the same speakers. The user also wants an LED light to turn on when the desktop is playing and off when the laptop is playing, without affecting the sound quality or damaging the sound cards. The user is seeking assistance in accomplishing this without creating a complicated setup. It is suggested to have a separate switch pole for the LED to avoid any complications.
syst3mboot
I want to create a little circuit thing. Ill explain it in a diagram below. Basically I have 1 set of speakers and 2 computers. I want to create a switch that will let me switch between which computer is playing on the speakers. Nothing complicated so far.

However I want there to be an LED light bulb turned ON when my dekstop is playing on the speakers and OFF when my laptop is playing. I probably can't just put the LED on the sound wires, it will screw up the sound and probably fry my sound card. So I need some help doing this, maybe someone can clear it up for me.

Here's the diagram of what I'm trying to accomplish:

img17.imageshack.us/img17/7499/123us.png

Anyway I can accomplish this without ruining the sound quality, frying my sound cards, or setting up a second circuit? I don't care too much about the strength of the LED so long as its visible, if it flickers it doesn't matter.

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I didn't look at the link you posted but why can't you just have a separate switch pole for this LED?

i want it to be on only while the speakers are palying from the computer, i didnt want to make it too complex, mostly because i don't know much about this stuff

FAQ: [Help]LED light on a speaker circuit.

1. How do I connect an LED light to a speaker circuit?

To connect an LED light to a speaker circuit, you will need to solder the LED's positive lead to the circuit's positive terminal and the negative lead to the negative terminal. It is important to use the correct resistor to prevent the LED from burning out.

2. What is the purpose of adding an LED light to a speaker circuit?

The LED light on a speaker circuit serves as a visual indicator of the speaker's activity. It will light up when the speaker is producing sound, making it easier to determine if the circuit is functioning properly.

3. Can I use any type of LED light for a speaker circuit?

Yes, you can use any type of LED light for a speaker circuit as long as it has the correct voltage rating and is connected with the appropriate resistor. However, it is recommended to use a low-power LED to avoid drawing too much current from the speaker circuit.

4. How do I calculate the resistor needed for an LED on a speaker circuit?

To calculate the resistor needed for an LED on a speaker circuit, you will need to determine the forward voltage and current of the LED, as well as the supply voltage of the circuit. You can then use Ohm's law (V=IR) to calculate the resistance needed. There are also online calculators available for this calculation.

5. Can I use multiple LED lights on a speaker circuit?

Yes, you can use multiple LED lights on a speaker circuit as long as they are connected in parallel with the appropriate resistors. However, adding too many LEDs may draw too much current and affect the performance of the speaker circuit.

Back