Help me calculate venturi flow rate

In summary, the formula for calculating flow rate in a venturi pipe is based on the principle of conservation of mass, which states that the flow rate into any part of the pipe must be equal to the flow rate out of it. This means that even in the scenario of an open venturi pipe facing into a tidal flow, the flow rate remains constant and can be determined using the formula.
declanka
Hi I have a challenge (Its over 30 years since I did physics). I have the following information and I want to calculate the flow rate change .

Opening diameter 2m , narrows smoothly to diameter 1m. Seawater, tidal flow of 2.5 m/s into the opening, what is the effective flow rate in the throat of the venturi

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi declanka! welcome to pf! :smile:

water is incompressible, so the flow rate (volume per second) must be constant, so the speed (metres per second) must be inversely proportional to cross-section area :wink:

(and in this case, the area is 1/4, so the speed must be x 4)

Thanks for this response, it logically confirms the calculations I came up with. Is the formula always true , even in the scenario where its just an open venturi (narrowing) pipe facing into the tidal flow .

declanka said:
Is the formula always true , even in the scenario where its just an open venturi (narrowing) pipe facing into the tidal flow .

yes, it's conservation of mass …

the water can't bunch up anywhere, or thin out, so the flow into any part of the pipe must be the same as the flow out of it … ie the flow rate (volume per second) past any two cross-sections must be the same

Sure, I would be happy to help you calculate the venturi flow rate. The venturi effect is a principle in fluid dynamics that describes the relationship between the velocity of a fluid and the cross-sectional area of a pipe. In this case, we can use the following equation to calculate the flow rate in the throat of the venturi:

Q = A1V1 = A2V2

Where:
Q = flow rate
A1 = cross-sectional area of the opening diameter (2m)
V1 = velocity of the fluid entering the venturi (2.5 m/s)
A2 = cross-sectional area of the narrowed diameter (1m)
V2 = velocity of the fluid in the throat of the venturi (to be calculated)

Using this equation, we can rearrange it to solve for V2:

V2 = (A1V1)/A2

Plugging in the values given, we get:

V2 = (2m * 2.5 m/s)/1m = 5 m/s

Therefore, the effective flow rate in the throat of the venturi would be 5 m/s. I hope this helps you with your calculation. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Help me calculate venturi flow rate

What is a venturi flow rate?

A venturi flow rate is the measurement of the amount of fluid that passes through a venturi tube in a given amount of time. The venturi tube is a device that has a narrow throat section that causes an increase in the velocity of the fluid passing through it.

How do you calculate venturi flow rate?

The venturi flow rate can be calculated using the Bernoulli's equation, which takes into account the difference in pressure between the inlet and throat of the venturi tube. The equation is Q = A1V1 = A2V2, where Q is the flow rate, A is the cross-sectional area, and V is the velocity of the fluid.

What are the factors that affect venturi flow rate?

The factors that affect venturi flow rate include the pressure difference between the inlet and throat of the venturi tube, the geometry of the venturi tube, the viscosity of the fluid, and the temperature of the fluid. Other factors such as the density and compressibility of the fluid may also play a role.

Why is it important to calculate venturi flow rate?

Calculating venturi flow rate is important for many applications, such as in industrial processes, water distribution systems, and medical devices. It allows for accurate measurement and control of fluid flow, which is crucial for maintaining efficiency and safety in these systems.

What are some limitations of using a venturi tube for flow rate measurement?

One limitation of using a venturi tube for flow rate measurement is that it only works for fluids that are incompressible. Another limitation is that it requires a certain minimum flow rate to work effectively. Additionally, the accuracy of the measurement can be affected by factors such as the presence of air bubbles or impurities in the fluid.