Help me decide between these two books?

• Thread starter dkotschessaa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, Dave recommends the Abel book and suggests supplementing with abstract algebra lectures from Pinter. Stillwell's books are both well written and offer insights into different mathematical topics. Geometry: Euclid and beyond is a good book to start with if you want to learn more about euclidean geometry.
dkotschessaa
For some independent study this summer, I have a choice of two books, available electronically, to study.

John Stillwell - The Four Pillars of Geometry

Abel's theorem in problems and solutions

The decision is fiendishly difficult. The first book plays on some of my strengths - I have a good background in basic euclidian geometry though the study of math history, which is where the book starts. Then it gets into a lot of things I've been wanting to learn and strengthen. (Like my ability to work visually).

The second is just fascinating - and covers a lot of topics I will encounter formally later in my studies. If I get through this book now I think I'll have a major heads up on a lot of those classes down the line. However, it also contains some things I feel I might lack the background for, like set theory and proofs, which I am self studying with "How to Prove it," by Velleman,

My background is three semesters of calculus and early history of mathematics. I haven't had any abstract yet, or linear algebra. I think it's a choice between really solidifying and enhancing existing knowledge vs. learning something completely new and a bit daunting.

Just can't seem to make up my mind!

-Dave K

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, that book about Abels theorem is really good. It touches on several different parts of mathematics and it has nice explanations. You should have a good time learning it.

As for the Stilwell book, I think there might be better books out there. An excellent book is "Introduction to geometry" by Coxeter. It touches on all kind of different parts of mathematics and offers nice insights.
If you want a book on euclidean geometry, then perhaps "Geometry: Euclid and beyond" is something you'd like.

Yeah, I like how it starts with the theorem and the overall aim of the book, then dives into all these different mathematical concepts (seemingly unrelated, to me) to build back up to the theorem. I just hope I can tackle it. The language around 1.2 is where I start feeling un-prepared, but I'm still wondering if the Velleman book can help me with that. I have about 6 weeks to prepare for this and study ahead...

-Dave K

I haven't seen the Abel book before. Since it looks pretty concise, you may want a supplement for the basic Abstract Algebra. I often recommend Pinter as it is very readable as well as inexpensive.

Stillwell is a nice author - all of his books that I have seen are well written. I remember reading through some of that book back when I did a geometry class. I liked the approach, it starts pretty gently.

I seen this thread the other day & just today got them both out of the library as I had literally been meaning to finish them both off this summer anyway once exams were over so definitely feel free to post specific questions here about the books, I know I'd definitely like to talk about these two.

I've read most of the Abel book & some of the Stillwell book already. Another one extremely similar in style & philosophy hopefully read along with the second half of the Abel book is https://www.amazon.com/dp/0883856182/?tag=pfamazon01-20. I don't see any reason why you shouldn't read both books along with Steenrod, I'd say you'd be far better off doing it that way.

You'll learn a fantastic exposition of group theory based on thinking of groups in terms of permutations (read this to find out why it's done that way) & these (or these or these) lectures will be really helpful in clarifying the stuff sped through in the Abel book. Also, most of chapters 1 & 2 of the Abel book independently (recommended). Topology comes up when discussing the fundamental theorem of algebra & winding numbers & I'd recommend reading Steenrod along with these sections for a more complete exposition of that material (a real analysis course such as this one motivates a lot of this material).

However you said you had problems with the language in section 1.2, is that in Abel? Is the language of transformations & surjections completely new to you? In this context a transformation is another word for a bijection & in the case of finite sets the word permutation is also used equivalently. If this material is giving you problems then I'd recommend these, they deal with proofs & develop the necessary material (the discrete structures videos have some algebra stuff in there that covers some of the Abel stuff like groups, subgroups, cosets & Lagrange's theorem):

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF2DF6C3C8015DF5F&feature=plcp
http://nptel.iitm.ac.in/video.php?subjectId=106106094
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0131481010/?tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/007154948X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
you might get some interest if you start up a thread here where you read the abel book as a group, helping each other. then you could ask questions as you go along.

FAQ: Help me decide between these two books?

What factors should I consider when deciding between two books?

When trying to choose between two books, you should consider the genre, author, plot, and reviews. Genre is important because it indicates the type of story the book will tell, and if you have a preference for certain genres, that can help narrow down your choices. The author's writing style and reputation are also important to consider, as well as the overall plot of the book. Lastly, reading reviews from other readers can give you a better idea of whether the book may be a good fit for you.

Should I read samples of both books before making a decision?

Reading a sample of each book can be helpful in making a decision. Samples can give you a feel for the writing style, pacing, and overall tone of the book. This can help you determine which book you may enjoy more.

What if both books have similar ratings and reviews?

If both books have similar ratings and reviews, consider reading a sample of each or asking for recommendations from friends or family. You can also look up interviews or reviews from trusted sources to see if they have a preference between the two books.

How important is the length of the book in making a decision?

The length of the book can be a factor in your decision, but it should not be the only factor. A longer book may take more time to read, but if it is well-written and engaging, the length may not matter as much. On the other hand, a shorter book may be a quick read, but it may not have as much depth or development. Ultimately, the quality of the story should be the main consideration.

What if I still can't decide between the two books?

If you are still having trouble deciding between two books, you can try asking for recommendations from friends, family, or online book communities. You can also try reading reviews or asking for a sample of each book. Ultimately, it's important to remember that there is no right or wrong choice - go with the book that you feel most drawn to and excited about.