Help me find Work Experience Placements

In summary, a kid wants to find work experience placements for a pure mathematician position and doesn't know where to start. They contact several universities and find out that most people are on holiday. They contact the academic advisors of the departments they're interested in and find out that most of them are currently out of town. They find someone who can help them and contact the research center where the work experience kid is working.
Gib Z
Homework Helper
Help me find Work Experience Placements!

O noo! I've left it to the last minute, everyone else seems to have work experience placements even though its still months away ! And worst of all, I sent in a few emails to a local University, lazy try i know, and they didn't reply. Does anyone know what title the person who handles work experience placements in a university has? Then I could try to find a phone number for them.

Worst case Scenario and I can't get into a University, what other places would a kid wanted to be a pure mathematician be able to go? I can't think of any...

EDIT: O and did I mention ..I lied to my Career's adviser saying I already have a position because he was going to bite my head off if i didnt >.<..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
go to the university and talk to people

I plan on doing that in a few days, since I need to go to their library anyway, But from what i heard from my sister most people are on holiday :(

Gib Z said:
I plan on doing that in a few days, since I need to go to their library anyway, But from what i heard from my sister most people are on holiday :(

what holiday? summer session is in

I live in Australia, maybe things are different here :( Sydney Incase anyone else knows how to get me a position in Sydney! I am desperate!

there are like 4 universities, try them all.

What do I try though? Who would I ask?

I know nothing about the Australian education system, but I would say you should firstly contact the administrator of the department. For example, sydney universtiy's administrator is found here. Ask if they can either help you, or point you towards someone who can help. Interestingly, this university has a "secondary school liaison" email address, so it may be worth trying that also.

Contact the academic advisor of the departments you're interested in. Every Australian uni dept. has one. And while it is currently winter break, you'll find that since marks are being released either this week or next week, that academic advisors SHOULD be around to help students sort out their course selections for next semester.

I know a few prof's in Sydney, but none in the area you're interested in. Seriously, just ring up/email the academic advisors or department secretary's at MQ, UTS, UNSW or wherever you wanted to go and explain. At my uni (in Qld) we currently have a work experience kid who more or less just emailed the manager of our research centre and sorted it out. Uni's are looking for self-starters, people who aren't going to sit around waiting for someone else to sort stuff out for them :)

Related to Help me find Work Experience Placements

What is the purpose of work experience placements?

The purpose of work experience placements is to provide individuals with hands-on experience in a particular field or industry. This allows them to gain practical skills, knowledge, and understanding of the workplace, and to explore potential career paths.

How can I find work experience placements?

There are several ways to find work experience placements. You can search online job portals, check with your school or university's career center, network with professionals in your desired field, and reach out to companies directly to inquire about opportunities.

What are the benefits of completing work experience placements?

Completing work experience placements can provide numerous benefits, including gaining valuable skills and knowledge, building a professional network, enhancing your resume, and potentially leading to future job opportunities.

Do work experience placements have to be in my desired career field?

No, work experience placements do not have to be in your desired career field. While it's beneficial to gain experience in your desired field, any work experience can provide transferable skills and enhance your overall employability.

How can I make the most out of my work experience placements?

To make the most out of your work experience placements, it's important to have a positive attitude, be open to learning new things, ask questions, take on responsibilities, and network with professionals. It's also vital to reflect on your experience and apply what you have learned to your future career goals.