Help me proove absolute value inequalities and Solve an Integral

In summary: As for the first problem, I was considering the square root on each side. However, I didn't see how that could be useful. I would get: a+b \geq \sqrt{|a|^2+|b|^2}Which doesn't seem very helpful.I'm sorry, I made a typo earlier. The first line should read:|a-b| = |a+b|Ah, I see. In that case, I believe your approach is correct. By squaring both sides, you can simplify to (a+b)^2 = (a+b)^2, which is clearly true. Great job!
RJLiberator
Gold Member
1) True or Fale?
|a-b| [itex]\geq[/itex] ||a|-|b||

My solution: I broke this up into 4 different cases. 1. a> 0 b>0 2. a<0 b<0 and so on...
For each case, I ended up with a more simplified version of the inequality. For instance, in case 1 where I used a<0 and b<0, I ended up with the simplified statement of:
[itex]|-a+b|\geq|-a+b|[/itex] Which is clearly equivalent.

Is this a correct way to prove that this statement is true?

2. With that being out of the way, how can I prove this statement to be true:
[itex]\sqrt{(a+b)^2} = |a+b|[/itex]
Would I do the same thing and break it up into 4 cases?

3. This has been my most difficult problem so far.

For any x > 0, consider the function

f(x)=[itex]\int^{\sqrt{x}}_{0}e^{t^{2}}dt[/itex]

Computer f'(x)

My work so far: I was told to use the chain rule where the inner function is [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] and the outer is 0.

I'm not qutie sure what to do.. I imagine I take the antiderivative of this function using the chain rule?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
RJLiberator said:
1) True or Fale?

My solution: I broke this up into 4 different cases. 1. a> 0 b>0 2. a<0 b<0 and so on...
For each case, I ended up with a more simplified version of the inequality. For instance, in case 1 where I used a<0 and b<0, I ended up with the simplified statement of:

If you are only considering "1. a> 0, b> 0 2. a< 0 b< 0 and so on" HOW did you get to [itex]|-a+ b|[/itex]? You also need to consider, in each of those cases a< b and a> b.

2. With that being out of the way, how can I prove this statement to be true:
[itex]\sqrt{(a+b)^2} = |a+b|[/itex]
You know that |a|= |b| if and only if [itex]a^2= b^2[/itex], don't you?

Would I do the same thing and break it up into 4 cases?

3. This has been my most difficult problem so far.

For any x > 0, consider the function

[itex]f(x)=e^{t}dt[/itex]
This makes no sense. The left side is a function but the right side is a differential. they can't be equal. Did you mean [itex]f(x)= \int e^t dt[/itex]? If so finding f' is just the "fundamental theorem of Calculus".

Computer f'(x)

My work so far: I was told to use the chain rule where the inner function is [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] and the outer is 0.
? There is NO square root in the problem you gave- and an "outer function" of 0 would just make the entire function 0.

I'm not qutie sure what to do.. I imagine I take the antiderivative of this function using the chain rule?
You said the problem was to find the derivative not the anti-derivative. What, exactly is the problem.

Likes 1 person
Halls, Thanks for the reply:

Regarding 1)
To save space I cut my claims short. I did take into account a>b and b>a

2) So if I square both sides, I would receive (a+b)^2 = (a+b)^2 Hm. That makes a lot of sense.

3) It seems you may have quoted my question when I was editing/had a problem with the latex. The proper latex version is up now.
With that being said, I understand why the outer function of 0 would make the chain rule null. Maybe my TA was not looking at the problem carefully enough.

I will need to search through the Fundamental theorem of Calculus then.

Thank you for the input. It is appreciated.

RJLiberator said:
1) True or Fale?

Since you apparently solved it using many cases, I will suggest an easier way not needing all those cases. Start with$$
|a| = |(a-b)+b| \le |a-b| + |b|$$(I'm assuming you already have the triangle inequality here). So this gives you$$
|a|-|b| \le |a-b|$$. Now do you see how this same result with ##a## and ##b## switched gives you your required inequality?

Hey guys, I think I figured out the third problem. The integral problem using the fundamental theorem of calculus. Can anyone check my work:

1. denote a new function :
g'(x) = e^(x^2)
f(x)=g(sqrt(x))

Using the chain rule
f'(x) = 1/2(sqrt(x) * e^(sqrt(x)^2)

How does this look?

LCK, I am going to look into what you posted. One moment.

Surely, you can simplify "(sqrt(x))^2".

Excellent. e^x.

=)

FAQ: Help me proove absolute value inequalities and Solve an Integral

1. What is the definition of absolute value inequalities?

Absolute value inequalities are mathematical expressions or equations that involve the absolute value of a number. The absolute value of a number is its distance from zero on the number line. Inequalities involving absolute value are solved by considering both the positive and negative values of the number within the absolute value, and finding the range of values that satisfy the inequality.

2. How do I solve absolute value inequalities?

To solve an absolute value inequality, first isolate the absolute value expression on one side of the inequality sign. Then, split the inequality into two separate inequalities, one using the positive value of the absolute value expression and one using the negative value. Solve each inequality separately and combine the solutions to find the overall solution to the original inequality.

3. What is the purpose of solving an integral?

Solving an integral is a mathematical process used to find the area under a curve. It has many real-world applications, such as calculating the distance traveled by an object with a changing velocity or finding the total cost of a varying rate of consumption. It is also used to find the volume of irregular shapes.

4. What are the different methods for solving an integral?

There are several methods for solving an integral, including substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. Substitution involves replacing a variable with another expression, while integration by parts involves breaking down the original integral into simpler parts. Partial fractions is a method used for integrating rational functions.

5. Can absolute value inequalities and integrals be used in real-life situations?

Absolute value inequalities can be used in various real-life situations, such as calculating the range of possible temperatures in a given location or determining the maximum and minimum values of a function. Integrals also have many real-world applications, including calculating the area of a field or finding the average speed of a moving object.

Back