Help Me Solve This Differential Equation!

In summary, the equation x=C\exp\left(\int f(v)\,dv \right) can be solved for v using the exponential integral and solving for v yields x=C\exp\left(\int f(v)\,dv \right).
paulmdrdo1

please help me continue solving this,

$\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}=\ln(x)-\ln(y)+\frac{x-y}{x+y}$

this is where I can get to,

$\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}=\ln(\frac{x}{y})+\frac{x-y}{x+y}$

multiplying the 2nd term by $\frac{1}{x}$

$\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}=\ln(\frac{x}{y})+\frac{\frac{x}{y}-1}{\frac{x}{y}+1}$

using the substitution, $\displaystyle v=\frac{y}{x}$--->$\displaystyle y=vx$----->>$\displaystyle\frac{1}{v}=\frac{x}{y}$

$\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}=\ln(\frac{1}{v})+\frac{\frac{1}{v}-1}{\frac{1}{v}+1}$

until here I don't know how to proceed.. please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have a mistake in your third equation if you really multiplied by $1/x$, because

$$\frac{x-y}{x+y} = \frac{x \left( 1 - \frac{y}{x} \right)}{x \left( 1 + \frac{y}{x} \right)} = \frac{ 1- \frac{y}{x} }{ 1 + \frac{y}{x} }.$$

Therefore with the substitution $y = vx$ we have

$$
\begin{align}
\frac{dy}{dx} & = v + \frac{dv}{dx} \\
& \text{and} \\
v + \frac{dv}{dx} &= \ln (v) + \frac{1-v}{1+v}.
\end{align}
$$

Perhaps this is more tractable. :)

Actually, if one uses:

\(\displaystyle y=vx\)

We find by use of the product rule:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}=v+x\frac{dv}{dx}\)

This will lead you to a separable, but from what I can tell, an integral not expressible in terms of elementary functions.

then how can we solve this?

paulmdrdo said:
then how can we solve this?

Are you certain you have copied the problem exactly as given? I could be wrong or overlooking an appropriate substitution, but I do not see how to obtain even an implicit solution, and W|A cannot either.

MarkFL said:
Are you certain you have copied the problem exactly as given? I could be wrong or overlooking an appropriate substitution, but I do not see how to obtain even an implicit solution, and W|A cannot either.

Yes, I copied it correctly.

paulmdrdo said:
Yes, I copied it correctly.

The best I can do is give a solution of the form:

\(\displaystyle x=C\exp\left(\int f(v)\,dv \right)\) where $C>0$.

FAQ: Help Me Solve This Differential Equation!

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical expression that relates a function to its derivatives. It describes how a variable changes over time or in relation to other variables.

2. Why are differential equations important?

Differential equations are used to model various real-world phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They allow us to predict and understand the behavior of complex systems.

3. How do I solve a differential equation?

The method for solving a differential equation depends on its type and complexity. Some common techniques include separation of variables, integrating factors, and using series solutions. It is important to first identify the type of equation and then apply the appropriate method.

4. Can differential equations have multiple solutions?

Yes, differential equations can have multiple solutions. In fact, some equations may have an infinite number of solutions. However, in many cases, only a specific solution that satisfies certain boundary conditions is of interest.

5. What are some real-life applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are used in many areas of science and engineering to model and understand complex systems. Some examples include predicting population growth, analyzing the spread of diseases, designing electrical circuits, and studying the motion of objects in space.