Help me, to understand kirchoff's voltage law.

In summary, the conversation is about applying Kirchoff's voltage law to a circuit diagram. The speaker discusses choosing the correct direction for current in the circuit and determining the appropriate equation to use. They both come to an agreement and thank each other for their input.
sphyics
N.B: I was trying to apply kirchoff’s voltage law to this ckt diagram. (created by myself :smile:)

recreated.jpg

To apply kirchoff’s voltage law:

1) Assume current along with their directions in each branch of the ckt.
(Assumed: and represented by arrows (red for I1 and violet for (I1 + I2) tis is wer my problem, am I right in choosing the violet arrow as (I1 + I2). Intuitively I am not convinced by my choice.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your circuit only has one "branch". The current is the same throughout.

Doc Al said:
Your circuit only has one "branch". The current is the same throughout.

agree with the point; so the equation would be:

-I1R1 + E2 - I1R2 + E1 = 0

sphyics said:
agree with the point; so the equation would be:

-I1R1 + E2 - I1R2 + E1 = 0
Right.

Thank you Doc Al :smile:

Related to Help me, to understand kirchoff's voltage law.

1. What is Kirchoff's Voltage Law?

Kirchoff's Voltage Law (KVL) is a fundamental law in electrical circuit analysis that states that the sum of all voltages in a closed loop in a circuit must equal zero. This means that the total voltage dropped across all elements (such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors) in a loop must be equal to the total voltage supplied by the voltage source.

2. Why is Kirchoff's Voltage Law important?

KVL is important because it helps us understand the behavior of electrical circuits and allows us to analyze and solve complex circuit problems. It is a fundamental principle of circuit analysis and is used extensively in various fields of electrical engineering and physics.

3. How do you apply Kirchoff's Voltage Law?

To apply KVL, you must first identify all the closed loops in a circuit. Then, starting at any point in the loop, follow the path of the loop and assign a polarity to each voltage drop (positive or negative). As you move around the loop, add the voltage drops and set them equal to zero, taking into account the polarity of each drop. This will result in a set of equations that can be solved to determine the unknown voltages in the circuit.

4. Can Kirchoff's Voltage Law be used in any type of circuit?

Yes, KVL can be applied to any type of circuit, including DC and AC circuits, as long as the circuit is in a steady-state condition. This means that all the voltages and currents in the circuit have settled to their final values and are not changing over time.

5. Are there any limitations to Kirchoff's Voltage Law?

While KVL is a very useful and powerful tool in circuit analysis, it does have some limitations. It assumes that all the elements in a circuit are passive, meaning they do not generate energy. It also assumes that the circuit is in a steady-state condition and that there are no non-linear elements (such as diodes) in the circuit. Additionally, KVL cannot be applied to circuits with time-varying magnetic fields, as it only applies to electrical circuits.