Help Need to calculate deceleration of object crashing

In summary, calculating the deceleration of an object during a crash involves determining the change in velocity and dividing it by the time it takes for the object to come to a complete stop. This can be done using the formula a = (v_f - v_i)/t, where a is acceleration, v_f is the final velocity, v_i is the initial velocity, and t is the time. It is important to note that deceleration is a negative value, as the object is slowing down. Additionally, factors such as the mass and force of the object, as well as any external forces, may also affect the deceleration.
tcdesignguy
Hello,

Running a FEA on a object and need to calculate the deceleration from 5mph to 0mph and 10mph to 0mph . The vehicle weight is 2935lbs. They ran one test and said the vehicle stopped after it crumpled just less than 1". (I assume we can use the distance and velocities to solve the time?? (How long it took to stop from 5-0 in less than 1"))

So if i understand right we want to solve for t not a.

Thank you for your help!

-Steve Campbell

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

The formula to use is [tex]v^2 = 2 a d,[/tex] where v is the speed, a is the deceleration, and d is the distance. Solving that for the deceleration a gives [tex]a = \frac{v^2}{2d}[/tex]

You can https://www.google.com/#sclient=psy...,cf.osb&fp=7de1449e07857063&biw=1280&bih=607" to calculate the deceleration from that formula.

Or if you want to do things the hard way, then keep reading...

The units are tricky here! We have both miles and inches in the mixed in the mix, and I don't know what units you like to use for acceleration or deceleration -- I will use mph/sec as that seems convenient.

To make the units work out, first convert v into inches per second:
[tex]5 \ mi/hr \cdot \frac{12 \cdot 5280 \ inches}{1 \ mile}\cdot \frac{1 \ hr}{3600 \ sec}= \frac{5 \cdot 12 \cdot 5280}{3600} \frac{mi}{sec}= 88 \ in/sec[/tex]

(Or https://www.google.com/#sclient=psy...,cf.osb&fp=7de1449e07857063&biw=1280&bih=607" to do the conversion for you.)

So the deceleration is [tex]a = \frac{v^2}{2d} = \frac{5 \ mph \cdot 88 \ in/sec}{2 \cdot 1 \ in} = 220 \ mph/sec[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Help Need to calculate deceleration of object crashing

1. What is the formula for calculating deceleration?

The formula for calculating deceleration is: a = (v - u) / t, where a is the deceleration, v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, and t is the time taken for the object to decelerate.

2. How do you determine the initial and final velocities?

The initial velocity is the velocity of the object before it starts decelerating, while the final velocity is the velocity of the object at the end of the deceleration. These velocities can be measured using a speedometer or calculated using the distance and time taken for the object to decelerate.

3. What is the unit for deceleration?

The unit for deceleration is meters per second squared (m/s²) in the metric system. In the imperial system, it is measured in feet per second squared (ft/s²).

4. Can deceleration be negative?

Yes, deceleration can be negative. This means that the object is slowing down in the opposite direction of its initial motion. For example, if a car is moving east with an initial velocity of 20 m/s and then decelerates at a rate of -5 m/s², it will eventually come to a stop and then start moving west at a velocity of 5 m/s.

5. How does mass affect deceleration?

Mass does not directly affect deceleration. However, a heavier object will require more force to decelerate compared to a lighter object with the same initial and final velocities. This is because the mass of an object is directly proportional to its inertia, which is the resistance to change in motion.