Help Needed: Calculating Coal Delivery Rate with 60kW Motor

In summary, the conversation is about a homework question regarding a conveyor belt driven by a 60kW motor where only 90% of the power is available for useful work. The task is to determine the mass of coal that can be delivered by the motor per minute, by using the equation P = mgh/t and taking into account the motor's efficiency. The recommended approach is to use t = 60s and solve for m.
steelcap
Hey everyone, just wondering if anyone can help me out with a homework question I'm having trouble with. I've been stuck on it for about 45 minutes now, any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

"A conveyor belt is driven by a motor rated at 60kW. Only 90% of the rated power is available for useful work. The coal is to be raised and deposited into a hopper 19.5m above. How many kilograms of coal can be delivered by this motor per minute?"

- Matt

Physics news on Phys.org
If you use t = 60s, then find the mass through work/potential energy considerations.

[tex]P = \frac {W}{t}[/tex]

[tex]W = mgh[/tex]

[tex]P = \frac {mgh}{t}[/tex]

[tex]m = \frac {Pt}{gh}[/tex]

Dont forget to forget to multiply the power by the motor's efficiency!

Related to Help Needed: Calculating Coal Delivery Rate with 60kW Motor

1. How do I calculate the coal delivery rate with a 60kW motor?

To calculate the coal delivery rate, you will need to use the formula: Coal Delivery Rate = Motor Power (kW) / Coal Energy Density (kW/kg). In this case, the motor power is 60kW. The coal energy density can vary depending on the type of coal being used, but it is typically around 24kW/kg. Therefore, the coal delivery rate would be 60kW / 24kW/kg = 2.5 kg/s.

2. What factors can affect the coal delivery rate with a 60kW motor?

There are several factors that can affect the coal delivery rate with a 60kW motor. These include the efficiency of the motor, the condition of the conveyor belt or system, the type of coal being used, and any external factors such as temperature and humidity. It is important to consider all of these factors when calculating the delivery rate.

3. Is it possible to increase the coal delivery rate with a 60kW motor?

Yes, it is possible to increase the coal delivery rate with a 60kW motor. One way to do this is by optimizing the efficiency of the motor, ensuring it is running at its maximum capacity. Another way is to improve the conveyor system or use a higher energy density coal. However, it is important to note that the maximum delivery rate will ultimately be limited by the motor's power and the energy density of the coal.

4. Can I use the same formula to calculate the coal delivery rate for any motor?

No, the formula for calculating the coal delivery rate will vary depending on the motor power and the energy density of the coal. For example, if you are using a 100kW motor, the formula would be Coal Delivery Rate = 100kW / 24kW/kg = 4.17 kg/s. It is important to use the correct formula for the specific motor and coal being used.

5. How can I ensure the accuracy of my coal delivery rate calculations?

To ensure the accuracy of your coal delivery rate calculations, it is important to have accurate and up-to-date information on the motor power and coal energy density. You should also regularly check and maintain the motor and conveyor system to ensure they are working efficiently. Additionally, it is helpful to double-check your calculations and have them verified by another scientist or engineer.