Help Needed: Calculating Power in Lamps in Circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with a 220V AC power source and 3 100W lamps, and the calculations for power and brightness when different switches are closed. It is determined that lamp 1 will always burn at the same brightness, while lamp 2 will not work when switch 5 is closed. The conversation also mentions the potential drop across the bulbs, the current distribution and the need to calculate the equivalent resistance for the two bulbs in order to accurately determine current through that branch.
Capt.Obvious
Hi guys.

I need some help with an assignment. I have a circuit as depicted below with a 220V AC power source and 3 100W lamps. I’m asked to calculate the power in each lamp when switch 4 is closed and when switch 5 is closed. I’m also asked whether the lamps are brighter or dimmer.

I’m thinking that lamp 1 will always burn at same brightness, since it’s parallel to the other lamps. However I am confused whether lamp 2 will work when switch 5 is closed. My first reaction is no, but I’ve managed to confuse myself enough to not know anymore.
So pls help.

[PLAIN]http://www.upload.ee/image/1083803/lamps.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
About lamp 2, current will only flow through a resistor where there is a potential difference (voltage). If switch 5 is closed, the same piece of wire connects both sides of lamp 2, so there will be no voltage across lamp 2 and therefore no current through lamp 2.

As for the brightness of 1, that depends on the voltage across bulb 1 (according to Ohm's law).

>provided that wires have 0 resistance< ... you are right that bulb 1 will glow at same brightness.

And as vertigo said, due to 0 potential drop across bulb 2(switch 5 closed) ... it will not glow.

Also, this will not be true for long time,
after a while, bulb will heat too much increasing its resistance and therefore increasing its power consumption and brightness.

Assuming ideal conditions of course, resistance in wire = 0 etc.

As I understand, when 1) switches 4 and 5 are closed then bulb 1 will glow the same as if 4 was open, that means at 100W and bulb 3 will also be at 100W, bulb 2 will not work. The voltage drop across the bulbs will be 220V, since they are in parallel and the voltage source will put out twice the current as it would with only one bulb. Is this correct?
2) only switch 5 is closed then it will be just the same as if switches 4 and 5 open, with bulb 1 at 100W at the other two bulbs not working. As you have said.
3) only switch 4 is closed then all bulbs glow. Bulb 1 will be the same brightness it always was. But what about the other two? As I understand the voltage drop across both, bulb 2 and three together is 220V, that means 110V each? But my main question is about the currents. How much current is put out by the source and how do the current distribute? 1/2 both lanes or 1/3 and 2/3?

Thanks a lot for the help, by the way. I appreciate it.

Parts 1 and 2 are correct. For part 3, you would need to calculate the equivalent resistance of the two bulbs, to get the current through that branch.

It is true that the voltage will split between the bulbs because they are identical, but you shouldn't rely on that. In many problems, they won't be identical.

Use the formulas for series and parallel resistors to calculate the equivalent resistance.

[tex]R_s = R_1 + R_2,[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{R_p} = \frac{1}{R_1} + \frac{1}{R_2}.[/tex]

FAQ: Help Needed: Calculating Power in Lamps in Circuit

1. What is power in lamps in a circuit?

Power in lamps in a circuit refers to the amount of electrical energy that is being converted into light energy by the lamps in a circuit. It is measured in watts (W) and indicates the brightness or intensity of the light produced.

2. How is power calculated in lamps in a circuit?

Power in lamps in a circuit can be calculated using the formula: P = V x I, where P is power in watts, V is voltage in volts, and I is current in amperes. Alternatively, if the resistance (R) of the lamps is known, power can be calculated using the formula: P = I² x R.

3. Why is it important to calculate power in lamps in a circuit?

Calculating power in lamps in a circuit is important because it allows us to understand the amount of energy being used and determine the efficiency of the lamps. It also helps in selecting the appropriate lamps for a circuit and ensuring that the circuit can handle the power load.

4. What factors can affect the power in lamps in a circuit?

The power in lamps in a circuit can be affected by various factors, including the voltage, current, and resistance in the circuit. Changes in these values can alter the power output of the lamps. Other factors such as the type and condition of the lamps, as well as the overall design and wiring of the circuit, can also impact the power.

5. How can power in lamps in a circuit be controlled?

The power in lamps in a circuit can be controlled by adjusting the voltage or current in the circuit. Using resistors can also help regulate the power output. Additionally, using different types of lamps with varying wattages can affect the power in the circuit.