Help needed doing differentiation (quotient rule)

In summary, the conversation is about solving a double derivative using the quotient rule. The person is having trouble following their notes and getting confused with the many terms. They are advised to scrutinize each step and take enough time. The goal is to prove that two sides are equal, which is the left hand side of the wave equation. The first derivative is calculated and the process of differentiating again is discussed. It is noted that if x, y, and z are functions of t, it will be more difficult to solve.
lavster
Hi, can someone help me solve this double derivative please:

[tex]\frac{1}{c}\frac{d^2}{dt^2}\frac{1}{c^2t^2-x^2-y^2-z^2}[/tex] I am assuming you get use the quotient rule but I am getting so many terms I am getting confused... Its in my notes and I am not quite getting it...

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a matter of scrutinizing your every step. If you know the quotient rule you should be able to do this with enough time.

Its trying to prove that two sides are equal ( this is left hand side of wave equation). I am getting two different answers and assumed it was something to do with this as it was so long...

The first derivative of
[tex](c^2t^2- x^2- y^2- z^2)^{1/2}[/tex]
with respect to t (assuming x, y, and z are independent variables and not functions of t) is [tex](1/2)(c^2t^2- x^2- y^2- z^2)^{-1/2}(2c^2t)= c^2t(c^2t^2- x^2- y^2- z^2)^{-1/2}[/tex]
and it is not that difficult to differentiate again.

If x, y, and z are functions of t, yes, that is going to be difficult!

FAQ: Help needed doing differentiation (quotient rule)

1. What is the quotient rule?

The quotient rule is a formula in calculus used to find the derivative of a function that is the ratio of two other functions. It states that the derivative of a quotient is equal to the denominator multiplied by the derivative of the numerator, minus the numerator multiplied by the derivative of the denominator, all divided by the square of the denominator.

2. When should I use the quotient rule?

The quotient rule should be used when you have a function that is the ratio of two other functions and you need to find its derivative. This rule is specifically designed for finding the derivative of a quotient and cannot be applied to other types of functions.

3. How do I apply the quotient rule?

To apply the quotient rule, first identify the numerator and denominator of the function. Then, use the formula: f'(x) = (g(x) * f'(x) - f(x) * g'(x)) / (g(x))^2, where g(x) is the denominator and f(x) is the numerator. Plug in the derivatives of the numerator and denominator and simplify the expression to get the derivative of the original function.

4. Are there any tricks or shortcuts for using the quotient rule?

Unfortunately, there are no shortcuts or tricks for using the quotient rule. It is important to carefully follow the formula and properly identify the numerator and denominator to ensure accurate results. With practice, you may become more comfortable and efficient in applying the quotient rule.

5. Can I use the quotient rule for all types of functions?

No, the quotient rule can only be used for functions that are the ratio of two other functions. It cannot be applied to other types of functions, such as exponential, logarithmic, or trigonometric functions.