Help needed on Question D: Webpage Title - "Stuck on Question D? Get Help Here!

• Thread starter juanma101285
  • Start date
Can you finish from here?In summary, the conversation is about using Bayes' theorem to solve a probability problem involving a page of typescript with 40 lines and 80 characters per line, where each character has a probability of 0.001 of being erroneous. The problem asks for the probability of a particular line having no errors, more than one error, exactly two errors, and given that the page has exactly two errors, the probability that they occur on separate lines. The solution involves using Bayes' theorem and understanding mutually exclusive and collectively exhaustive events.
juanma101285
Hi, I have the following problem, but I am stuck on question D. I would really appreciate if someone could give me a hand! I think I have to use Bayes' theorem, but I don't know how :/. Thanks!

Homework Statement

"A page of typescript contains 40 lines, with 80 characters per line. Each character has probability p=0.001 (independently of the others) of being erroneous.

A) What is the probability that a particular line contains no errors (i.e., no erroneous characters)?
B) What is the probability that a particular line contains more than one error?
C) What is the probability that the page contains exactly two errors?
D) Given that the page contains exactly two errors, what is the probability that they occur on separate lines?"

Homework Equations

Bayes Theorem (I think)

The Attempt at a Solution

A)
p(x=0)=80C0*(0.001^0)*(0.999^80)=0.9231

B)
p(x=1)=80C1*(0.001^1)*(0.999^79)=0.0739
So,
p(x>1)=1-p(x=0)-p(x=1)=0.003

C)
p(x=2)=3200C2*(0.001^2)*(0.999^3198)=0.2087

D)
I do not know how to work out p(errors are on separate lines|page contains 2 errors). If Bayes' theorem is not needed, it would then be with the formula:

p(errors on separate lines|page has 2 errors)=p(errors on separate lines AND page has 2 errors)/p(page has 2 errors)... but how do I get the numerator for this division? :/

Physics news on Phys.org

juanma101285 said:
Hi, I have the following problem, but I am stuck on question D. I would really appreciate if someone could give me a hand! I think I have to use Bayes' theorem, but I don't know how :/. Thanks!

Homework Statement

"A page of typescript contains 40 lines, with 80 characters per line. Each character has probability p=0.001 (independently of the others) of being erroneous.

A) What is the probability that a particular line contains no errors (i.e., no erroneous characters)?
B) What is the probability that a particular line contains more than one error?
C) What is the probability that the page contains exactly two errors?
D) Given that the page contains exactly two errors, what is the probability that they occur on separate lines?"

Homework Equations

Bayes Theorem (I think)

The Attempt at a Solution

A)
p(x=0)=80C0*(0.001^0)*(0.999^80)=0.9231

B)
p(x=1)=80C1*(0.001^1)*(0.999^79)=0.0739
So,
p(x>1)=1-p(x=0)-p(x=1)=0.003

C)
p(x=2)=3200C2*(0.001^2)*(0.999^3198)=0.2087

D)
I do not know how to work out p(errors are on separate lines|page contains 2 errors). If Bayes' theorem is not needed, it would then be with the formula:

p(errors on separate lines|page has 2 errors)=p(errors on separate lines AND page has 2 errors)/p(page has 2 errors)... but how do I get the numerator for this division? :/

When you are GIVEN that the page has two errors, the probabilities 0.001 and 0.999 are now irrelevant (do you see why?). You now just have two things that are to be distributed randomly among 40 lines.

RGV

juanma101285 said:
Sometimes it helps to look at the "opposite" problem. In this case, there are two ways that two errors on a page can be distributed over the lines that comprise that page: (1) The two errors can be on two separate lines, or (2) both errors can be on the same line. These are mutually exclusive and collectively exhaustive events. So, given that there are two errors on the page, can you calculate the probability they are on the same line? Here the numerator in the conditional probability expression is the probability that one line contains two errors and that the remaining 39 lines are error-free. Note that there are 40 ways this can happen.

Related to Help needed on Question D: Webpage Title - "Stuck on Question D? Get Help Here!

1. What is Question D?

Question D refers to a specific question or problem that you are stuck on while working on a webpage. It is important to provide a clear and concise title for your question so that others can easily understand what you need help with.

2. How can I get help with Question D?

If you are stuck on Question D, you can get help by reaching out to other web developers, posting your question on online forums or communities, or hiring a professional web developer for assistance.

3. What information should I provide when asking for help on Question D?

When asking for help on Question D, it is important to provide as much information as possible about the issue you are facing. This may include the code you have written, any error messages you are receiving, and a detailed description of the problem. This will help others to understand your issue and provide more accurate and helpful solutions.

4. How long does it typically take to get help on Question D?

The amount of time it takes to get help on Question D can vary depending on the complexity of the problem and the availability of others to assist you. It is best to be patient and continue to seek out different sources for help if needed.

5. Is it important to provide a webpage title for Question D?

Yes, it is important to provide a webpage title for Question D so that others can easily understand what your question is about. This will also make it easier for others to find and provide help for your specific problem.