Help Needed Proving Implication for Linear Functional on Banach Space

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in proving the implication that any linear functional l on a Banach Space B is continuous if and only if the set A, defined as the kernel of l, is closed. The speaker is struggling with proving this claim and mentions using the concept of being bound as an alternative approach.
cbarker1
Gold Member
MHB
Homework Statement
Show that for any linear functional ##l## on ##B## is continuous if and only if ##A=\{f\in\B:l(f)=0\}## is closed.
Relevant Equations
#B# is a Banach space over the complex field and #ker(l)={f\in \mcalB: l(f)=0}#
Dear everybody,

I am having some trouble proving the implication (or the forward direction.) Here is my work:

Suppose that we have an arbitrary linear functional ##l## on a Banach Space ##B## is continuous. Since ##l## is continuous linear functional on B, in other words, we want show that ##l^{-1}\{0\}=A## and this is closed. I am having trouble with this claim.

Thanks
Carter

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cbarker1 said:
Homework Statement:: Show that for any linear functional #l# on #B# is continuous if and only if #A=\{f\in\mclB:l(f)=0\}# is closed.
Relevant Equations:: #B# is a Banach space over the complex field and #ker(l)={f\in \mcalB: l(f)=0}#

Dear everybody,

I am having some trouble proving the implication (or the forward direction.) Here is my work:

Suppose that we have an arbitrary linear functional l on a Banach Space #B# is continuous. Since #l# is continuous linear functional on #B#, in other words, we want show that #l^{-1}{0}=A# and this is closed. I am having trouble with this claim.

Thanks
Carter
It is also equivalent to being bound. You can use this for the way back.

@cbarker1 : Please use a double hash to wrap your math. Like in ##l^{-1}##, instead of a single one , like #l^{-1}#.

Related to Help Needed Proving Implication for Linear Functional on Banach Space

What is a Banach space?

A Banach space is a complete normed vector space. This means it is a vector space equipped with a norm, and every Cauchy sequence in the space converges to an element within the space.

What is a linear functional on a Banach space?

A linear functional on a Banach space is a linear map from the Banach space to the field of scalars (usually the real or complex numbers). It satisfies the properties of additivity and homogeneity.

What is an implication in the context of linear functionals?

An implication in this context typically refers to a logical statement of the form "if P, then Q," where P and Q are properties or conditions related to linear functionals on Banach spaces. Proving such an implication involves showing that whenever P holds, Q must also hold.

How do you prove an implication involving linear functionals on Banach spaces?

To prove an implication involving linear functionals on Banach spaces, one generally starts by assuming the premise (P) is true and then uses properties of Banach spaces and linear functionals, along with mathematical theorems and logical reasoning, to demonstrate that the conclusion (Q) must follow.

What are some common techniques used in proving implications for linear functionals on Banach spaces?

Common techniques include using the Hahn-Banach Theorem, the Banach-Steinhaus Theorem, properties of dual spaces, norm inequalities, and various forms of continuity and boundedness arguments. These tools help in constructing rigorous proofs for the implications in question.