Help Needed: Titration Curves - pH & H+ Calculation

In summary, the conversation is about creating a titration curve for a 0.1 M solution of formic acid and 0.1 M solution of NaOH. The speaker is struggling to understand how to get the pH or H+ and is seeking help. They mention key points on the curve, such as the initial pH, halfway point, equivalence point, and volume of base required for a pH of 12. They suggest using a pH calculator, but note that it may not help with understanding the calculations.
duodoublescythe
Titration Curves - Help needed

I really need some help in this, I don't understand how to make a titration curve. I have 50ml of a 0.1 M solution of formic acid with a 0.1 M solution of NaOH. I know that the pKa of the formic acid is 3.74 but i don't know how to get the pH or H+. I've hit a wall and my brain is fried from trying to figure it out. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A basic titration curve can consist of the pH on the y-axis and mL of the titrant (strong base such as NaOH) on the x axis. The significant points will be at the intercept (which will be the initial pH), the half way point of titration (where half of the moles of the acid has been titrated), the equivalence point (where the conjugate of the formic acid will contribute to the pH), and the volume of base required to reach a theoretical pH of, say 12, (although there are superior methods for this part).

You should know what I'm referring to.

Chack this acid/base titration curve calculation lecture. Note that it uses information from other lectures as well.

BATE (pH calculator - see signature) will calculate the curve for you - but it will not help you understand the calculations.

Related to Help Needed: Titration Curves - pH & H+ Calculation

What is titration and why is it important?

Titration is a technique used in chemistry to determine the concentration of an unknown solution by reacting it with a known solution. It is important because it allows scientists to accurately measure the concentration of a solution, which is essential in many experiments and analyses.

What is a titration curve and how is it related to pH and H+ calculation?

A titration curve is a graph that shows the relationship between the pH of a solution and the volume of titrant added. It is related to pH and H+ calculation because as the titrant is added, it reacts with the solution and changes the concentration of H+ ions, ultimately affecting the pH of the solution.

What are the key components of a titration curve?

The key components of a titration curve include the initial pH of the solution, the equivalence point (where the moles of titrant added equals the moles of the substance being titrated), and the endpoint (where the indicator changes color). It also includes the buffer region, where the pH changes gradually, and the steep region, where the pH changes rapidly.

What factors can affect the shape of a titration curve?

The shape of a titration curve can be affected by the strength and concentration of the titrant and the substance being titrated, the type of indicator used, and the presence of any buffers or other substances in the solution.

How do you calculate the pH and H+ concentration at different points on a titration curve?

To calculate the pH and H+ concentration at different points on a titration curve, you can use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation, which relates the pH to the pKa (acid dissociation constant) and the ratio of the concentrations of the conjugate acid and base. You can also use the stoichiometry of the reaction to determine the moles of acid and base present at different points and use the equation pH = -log[H+].

Back