Help ODE System Stability - Origin Analysis

In summary, the problem involves studying the stability of the origin for a system of differential equations with eigenvalues of -2, 1 + i, and 1-i. The eigenvectors are (0,0,1), (2,-1-i,0), and (-2,-1+i,0). The solution, confirmed with Mathematica, is given by x(t) = 2*exp(t)cos(t) * C_1 + 2*exp(t)*sin(t) * C_2 - 2*exp(t)*sin(t) *C_3, y(t) = C_1 * (-exp(t)*¨sin(t) - exp(t)*cos(t)) + C_2 *
Carl140

Homework Statement

Hello.

I want to study the stability of the origin of the following problem:

dx/dt = -2y

dy/dt = x + 2y

dz/dt = -2z

So the eigenvalues of this 3 x 3 matrix are -2, 1 + i, 1-i.

The eigenvectors are (0,0,1) , (2,-1-i,0), (-2,-1+i,0).

The solution (confirmed with Mathematica) is given by:

x(t) = 2*exp(t)cos(t) * C_1 + 2*exp(t)*sin(t) * C_2 - 2*exp(t)*sin(t) *C_3

y(t) = C_1 * (-exp(t)*¨sin(t) - exp(t)*cos(t)) + C_2 * (exp(t)cos(t) -exp(t)sin(t)) +
C_3 * (-exp(t)cos(t)+exp(t)sin(t) )

z(t) = 2*exp(2*t) *C_3

Where C_1,C_2,C_3 are constants.

How can I find (analytically, not by plotting) if the origin (0,0,0) is stable, asymptotically stable? unstable, a node, a center?

I'm having trouble figuring this out. Can you please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Carl140 said:

Homework Statement

Hello.

I want to study the stability of the origin of the following problem:

dx/dt = -2y

dy/dt = x + 2y

dz/dt = -2z

So the eigenvalues of this 3 x 3 matrix are -2, 1 + i, 1-i.

The eigenvectors are (0,0,1) , (2,-1-i,0), (-2,-1+i,0).

The solution (confirmed with Mathematica) is given by:

x(t) = 2*exp(t)cos(t) * C_1 + 2*exp(t)*sin(t) * C_2 - 2*exp(t)*sin(t) *C_3

y(t) = C_1 * (-exp(t)*¨sin(t) - exp(t)*cos(t)) + C_2 * (exp(t)cos(t) -exp(t)sin(t)) +
C_3 * (-exp(t)cos(t)+exp(t)sin(t) )

z(t) = 2*exp(2*t) *C_3

Where C_1,C_2,C_3 are constants.

How can I find (analytically, not by plotting) if the origin (0,0,0) is stable, asymptotically stable? unstable, a node, a center?

I'm having trouble figuring this out. Can you please help?

Is there a typo in z(t)? One of your eigenvalues is -2, so I would expect to see e^(-2t) in one of your solution functions.

Because x(t) and y(t) both have terms with e^t, I would expect orbits that move away from the origin over time, which would make the origin unstable or a node (I don't recall exactly what these terms mean in the context of phase diagrams. And because z(t) is a decaying exponential function, whatever the orbits are doing, they are going to be heading down to the x-y plane over time. I'm just going off the top of my head here, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.

Related to Help ODE System Stability - Origin Analysis

1. What is an ODE system?

An ODE (ordinary differential equation) system refers to a set of one or more differential equations that describe the relationship between a dependent variable and one or more independent variables. It is commonly used in mathematical modeling to understand how a system changes over time.

2. What is stability analysis in the context of ODE systems?

Stability analysis in ODE systems is the process of determining the behavior of a system over time. It involves assessing whether the system will reach an equilibrium state (stable) or continue to change indefinitely (unstable) when subjected to external influences.

3. How can stability analysis help with ODE systems?

Stability analysis can help with ODE systems by providing valuable insights into the behavior of the system. It can help identify critical parameters that affect the stability of the system and guide decision-making in the design and control of the system.

4. What are some common methods used for stability analysis of ODE systems?

Some common methods used for stability analysis of ODE systems include Lyapunov stability analysis, phase plane analysis, and linearization. These methods involve mathematical techniques to analyze the stability of a system and predict its behavior over time.

5. How does Origin software aid in ODE system stability analysis?

Origin software provides powerful tools and features that aid in ODE system stability analysis. It offers various built-in functions for mathematical calculations, graphing, and data analysis. Additionally, it provides a user-friendly interface for visualizing and interpreting ODE system stability results, making it a valuable tool for scientists and researchers.