Help on interpreting subsequential limit proof

In summary, the conversation is about proving that if a sequence of real numbers has only one finite limit point in the extended reals, then the sequence is bounded. The conversation discusses using the definition of subsequential limit to argue that the sequence must converge to this limit point, and then using this fact to show that the sequence is bounded. However, the importance of +infinity not being a limit point is also highlighted in the discussion.
shoeburg

Homework Statement

My analysis study guide asks me to prove the following:
If a_n is a sequence of real numbers whose only subsequential limit in the extended reals is finite, then a_n is bounded.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Is it right to say that since it has only one subsequential limit, call it L, which is finite in the extended reals (meaning we were considering infinity, so it for sure does not diverge), then since a_n is a subsequence of itself, then it also converges to L? If this were true, I know how to show it is bounded. What makes me think this is wrong is that, below the problem, the study guide asks "additionally, show that a_n is convergent under the above conditions." But I was going to use its convergence to show its boundedness.. any help appreciated! got a big test coming up next week.

Physics news on Phys.org
shoeburg said:

Homework Statement

My analysis study guide asks me to prove the following:
If a_n is a sequence of real numbers whose only subsequential limit in the extended reals is finite, then a_n is bounded.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Is it right to say that since it has only one subsequential limit, call it L, which is finite in the extended reals (meaning we were considering infinity, so it for sure does not diverge), then since a_n is a subsequence of itself, then it also converges to L? If this were true, I know how to show it is bounded. What makes me think this is wrong is that, below the problem, the study guide asks "additionally, show that a_n is convergent under the above conditions." But I was going to use its convergence to show its boundedness.. any help appreciated! got a big test coming up next week.

How did you show that the sequence is bounded? Having a limit point doesn't show a sequence converges. You have to give an argument.

Dick said:
How did you show that the sequence is bounded? Having a limit point doesn't show a sequence converges. You have to give an argument.

That is exactly my question. I'm asking if it's right to say, that since it has only one subsequential (finite) limit, call it L, then must the original sequence a_n also converge to that L? If this is true, I know how to proceed to show it is bounded. I'm just asking if this bridging step is correct.

The definition of subsequential limit I'm using is: if L is a subsequential limit, then there exists some subsequence that converges to that L.

shoeburg said:
That is exactly my question. I'm asking if it's right to say, that since it has only one subsequential (finite) limit, call it L, then must the original sequence a_n also converge to that L? If this is true, I know how to proceed to show it is bounded. I'm just asking if this bridging step is correct.

The definition of subsequential limit I'm using is: if L is a subsequential limit, then there exists some subsequence that converges to that L.

It is true that if there is one finite limit point and the sequence is bounded that the sequence converges. But you have to give an argument showing that. And first you have to show that it's bounded. You said you did it, but you can't do it by ASSUMING that the sequence converges. You know +infinity is not a limit point. What does that tell you?

Ohh, I think I see what you're saying. Here's what I have:

Let e=1. Let a_n be a sequence, let it have only one subsequential limit that is finite, call it L. Then there exists a subsequence b_n which converges to L.
Then there exists a natural number N such that for all n>N, abs(b_n - L) < 1.
Then b_N - 1 < b_n < b_N +1, so the set {b_n for n>N} is bounded.
The set {b_n for n <= N}, being a finite set, is also bounded.
The union of these two sets then is also bounded, so b_n is bounded.
Since b_n is bounded, then a_n is also bounded??

The bridge between talking about b_n and a_n still kinda confuses me. I appreciate your help.

shoeburg said:
Ohh, I think I see what you're saying. Here's what I have:

Let e=1. Let a_n be a sequence, let it have only one subsequential limit that is finite, call it L. Then there exists a subsequence b_n which converges to L.
Then there exists a natural number N such that for all n>N, abs(b_n - L) < 1.
Then b_N - 1 < b_n < b_N +1, so the set {b_n for n>N} is bounded.
The set {b_n for n <= N}, being a finite set, is also bounded.
The union of these two sets then is also bounded, so b_n is bounded.
Since b_n is bounded, then a_n is also bounded??

The bridge between talking about b_n and a_n still kinda confuses me. I appreciate your help.

You are getting a little tangled up with this whole subsequence thing. Just try to show it's bounded first. +infinity in the extended reals is not a limit point. What does that tell you?

I don't know why this is so hard for me to think about haha. +infinity not being a limit point means that the entire sequence is less than some number. Could I maybe start the proof with: Since the only subsequential limit of a_n is finite, and since a_n is a subsequence of itself, then I can find some B where a_n < B for all n.

shoeburg said:
I don't know why this is so hard for me to think about haha. +infinity not being a limit point means that the entire sequence is less than some number. Could I maybe start the proof with: Since the only subsequential limit of a_n is finite, and since a_n is a subsequence of itself, then I can find some B where a_n < B for all n.

You keep bringing up this subsequence thing and that's confusing you right now. If +infinity is not a limit point then there is some neighborhood of infinity [M,+infinity) that contains only a finite number of elements in your sequence. So?

Well the set of those finite elements has got to be bounded above by some number A. And because of your construction of the neighborhood, the rest of the sequence has got to be less than that same A (because they will all be less than M)? Hence the whole sequence is bounded?

shoeburg said:
Well the set of those finite elements has got to be bounded above by some number A. And because of your construction of the neighborhood, the rest of the sequence has got to be less than that same A (because they will all be less than M)? Hence the whole sequence is bounded?

Yes, they are all bounded above by A. Same thing for -infinity. So now the elements of your sequence are contained in [-R,R] for some real R. And you have exactly one limit point -R<=L<=R. Can you show the limit must be L? I think you need to use compactness of closed intervals.

Last edited:
The study guide says showing that it is convergent is a bonus, so for now I'll probably prioritize on the other things I need to study. Thank you for your patience and your help! This one had been bugging me.

shoeburg said:
The study guide says showing that it is convergent is a bonus, so for now I'll probably prioritize on the other things I need to study. Thank you for your patience and your help! This one had been bugging me.

Fair enough. Very welcome.

FAQ: Help on interpreting subsequential limit proof

1. What is a subsequential limit?

A subsequential limit is the limit of a subsequence within a given sequence. It is a value towards which the subsequence converges, even though the original sequence may not converge to that same value.

2. How do I prove a subsequential limit?

To prove a subsequential limit, you must show that for any given epsilon, there exists an index in the subsequence such that all subsequent terms in the subsequence are within epsilon of the limit. This can be done using the definition of a limit and the properties of subsequences.

3. What is the importance of proving a subsequential limit?

Proving a subsequential limit is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a sequence and determine if it converges or diverges. It is also a fundamental concept in real analysis and is used in many areas of mathematics and science.

4. What are some common techniques for proving subsequential limits?

There are several techniques for proving subsequential limits, including the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem, the Cauchy criterion, and the Monotone Convergence theorem. These techniques involve using properties of sequences, such as monotonicity and boundedness, to show that a limit exists.

5. Can a sequence have more than one subsequential limit?

Yes, a sequence can have more than one subsequential limit. This occurs when the sequence is oscillating or has multiple clusters of values that it approaches. In this case, the subsequential limits will be the different values that the subsequence converges to.