Help on T Distribution and Skewness Questions

D] The probability that you were wrong is not provided in the conversation. It is not possible to determine the probability without more information.
sosme
I am a bit unsure on three question can anybody help me out? My attempts are marked with *

Find P(Mu > xbar); where xbar = -96.52, Mu0 = -34.21, n = 15, s2 = 32193.0551
**I wanted to use the t-distrbtion formula but I am not sure about Mu0, do I assume that Mu0=Mu and for s do I just plug it into this formula http://www.psych.utoronto.ca/courses...7/chapte17.gif
but the thing is I see in my book s, sigmaxbar, sigma -> what's the difference between these, they seem like all the same

Calculate xbar where P(Mu > xbar) = 0.025, df = 20, Muxbar = 39.4, sigmaxbar = 28.7

*I tried to use the t-distriubution formula but I am still confused about the difference between xbar, Mu0, muxbar and Mu they seem like the same :S espiecally muxbar (is that the SD of the mean sample but then isn't that xbar :S Can I just plug sigmaxbar into S in the formula t = (xbar - mu)/(s/sqrt n) :S:S

In a similar test that was powered at 95%, you examined whether the use of advil among women attending your store was different from the general population. You conducted the test with 98% confidence, and found that the use of advil at your store was higher, but similar to and not significantly different than the general population. What was the probability that you were wrong?

Choices
a. 0.050
b. 0.020
c. 0.200
d. None of the other answers

*I thought that it was 0.02 at first but then I started thinking about the 95%, what does that mean? What about alpha error?

Your friend is saying that you should not be using a Z or T test to test your hypothesis because the distribution of advil use in the general population of women is highly skewed. What do you say?
1) we will redo the tests in a way that does not rely on normality
2) It is fine because the Central Limit Theorem states that Sigmaxbar = Sigma0 / sqrt (N)

***I narrowed it down to these two but I can't figure out whether it's 1 or 2. How do I reason this out? I know that with CLT that statement is right but does that mean it's correct for this question?

thank you so so much

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
for trying to help me out :D[A] For the first question, you need to use the t-distribution formula. Mu0 is the population mean, s is the standard deviation of the population, and xbar is the sample mean. The formula is t = (xbar - mu0) / (s/sqrt n). Plug in the given values and solve for P(Mu > xbar). To calculate xbar, you need to use the inverse t-distribution formula. The formula is xbar = mu0 + (s/sqrt n) * t. Plug in the given values and solve for xbar. [C] For this question, you should choose option 1. The Central Limit Theorem states that the sample mean will be approximately normally distributed even when the population is highly skewed. However, it is best to redo the tests in a way that does not rely on normality to ensure the most accurate results.

FAQ: Help on T Distribution and Skewness Questions

What is a T distribution?

A T distribution is a probability distribution used in statistics to estimate the population mean when the sample size is small and the population standard deviation is unknown. It is similar to the normal distribution but has fatter tails, making it more suitable for small sample sizes.

How is a T distribution different from a normal distribution?

The main difference between a T distribution and a normal distribution is that the T distribution has a wider spread and fatter tails. This is because the T distribution takes into account the uncertainty of estimating the population standard deviation in small sample sizes. The T distribution also has a different shape depending on the degrees of freedom, which is the number of observations used to estimate the population mean.

What is the formula for calculating skewness?

Skewness is a measure of the asymmetry of a distribution. It can be calculated using the formula: skewness = (3 * (mean - median)) / standard deviation. A positive skewness value indicates a right-skewed distribution, while a negative skewness value indicates a left-skewed distribution.

How is skewness related to the T distribution?

Skewness is related to the T distribution in that the T distribution is a symmetrical distribution only when the degrees of freedom are very large. For smaller degrees of freedom, the T distribution is skewed, with a larger likelihood of extreme values. Understanding the skewness of the T distribution is important for making accurate inferences from small sample sizes.

How can I use the T distribution to test for significance?

The T distribution is used in hypothesis testing to determine if there is a significant difference between the means of two populations. This is done by calculating the T statistic, which measures the difference between the sample means and takes into account the sample size and standard deviation. The calculated T statistic is then compared to a critical value from a T distribution table to determine if the difference is statistically significant.

Back